Giving up mobile app

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up mobile app

I think I will probably let the mobile apps slide after they expire. My experience and feedback from my peeps is that a lot of them frequent several forums including mine. Many of them use tapatalk or forum runner and like the idea of having one app that gets them to all the forums they frequent.

Many of them also prefer the third party apps over the ones we created seems to be overkill on my side to offer two third party apps plus two of my own.

I also use them myself as I frequent a few other forums that are carried by forum runner and tapatalk. So may as well drop the added expense and maintenance. Plus, working with the apple iTunes is basically bs even if you have an apple outer and all the nonsense software they require. Which I dont

I am sorry the solution didn't work out for you and glad that you found alternatives for your community. Do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the offering for the future?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Not sure. It works fine. Just the fact that many of the users already have one or more of the third party readers that for me, and my forum, it may be a little overkill at this point

Comment

Do you have adverts on your site? If so, do the third-party readers allow you to serve your own adverts? I know the standard Tapatalk app doesn't - meaning a complete loss of revenue from any users that access your site through them...

Comment

Giving up mobile app

I think that vbulletins mobile apps is the right way to go. Yes there is still a lot of room for improvement, but the fact that you get your own branded app, is in my opinion a big plus, and that it gets developed along vith vbulletin and includes the whole community experience is perfect.

I belive that a lot of peoples intenet usage is moving from browsers to apps, not that i think this is a great thing, but its happening, and those who gets their app icon installed on smartphones and tablets are the winners of tomorow.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarsCanada View Post
            I think I will probably let the mobile apps slide after they expire. My experience and feedback from my peeps is that a lot of them frequent several forums including mine. Many of them use tapatalk or forum runner and like the idea of having one app that gets them to all the forums they frequent.

Many of them also prefer the third party apps over the ones we created seems to be overkill on my side to offer two third party apps plus two of my own.

I also use them myself as I frequent a few other forums that are carried by forum runner and tapatalk. So may as well drop the added expense and maintenance. Plus, working with the apple iTunes is basically bs even if you have an apple outer and all the nonsense software they require. Which I dont

Thank you a million for this very informative post. Very appreciated.

Comment

I agree with alfanexus, though the current state of the apps is far from optimal. With the android app, its so bad that I wish that vBS would install tapatalk on vbulletin.com
              When I try to browse unread posts, it just dumps me somewhere in the thread and there is no way to go to the last unread post. I have simply giving up mobile browsing on here. And without PUSH, whats the use of an app?
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
                I agree with alfanexus, though the current state of the apps is far from optimal. With the android app, its so bad that I wish that vBS would install tapatalk on vbulletin.com
                When I try to browse unread posts, it just dumps me somewhere in the thread and there is no way to go to the last unread post. I have simply giving up mobile browsing on here. And without PUSH, whats the use of an app?
                thank you a million for the great feedback.

Comment

If your revenue comes from ads imagine ALL your users are on tapatalk ! I also agree tapatalk is better but I do wanna serve ads that bring revenue to me not tapatalk.
                  If more of us support vb we might get better app . Btw how about new and unread messages link providing you have selected database marking of unread messages ?

this is a major functionality !

Comment

Originally posted by imedic View Post
                    If your revenue comes from ads imagine ALL your users are on tapatalk ! I also agree tapatalk is better but I do wanna serve ads that bring revenue to me not tapatalk.
                    If more of us support vb we might get better app . Btw how about new and unread messages link providing you have selected database marking of unread messages ?

this is a major functionality !
                    Have you tried tapatalk? it does not show any ads to your users, and it does allow you to have your own ads....
                    and I can hardly imagine all users being from one source, such as mobile devices.

Comment

There's no point in having a mobile app if all the app does is duplicate the content available on a website. Most sites use agent detection to automatically deliver a scaled-back version of a site.

Because vBulletin hasn't gotten their mobile templates right, companies like Tapatalk have capitalized on this shortcoming and are making a fortune off the audiences we've all built. I've had several of my users come to me and demand Tapatalk. And these are non-technical people. Why should we have to go to third parties for this kind of basic functionality that's already built into free software like WordPress?

Comment

Originally posted by pierguy View Post
                        There's no point in having a mobile app if all the app does is duplicate the content available on a website. Most sites use agent detection to automatically deliver a scaled-back version of a site.

Because vBulletin hasn't gotten their mobile templates right, companies like Tapatalk have capitalized on this shortcoming and are making a fortune off the audiences we've all built. I've had several of my users come to me and demand Tapatalk. And these are non-technical people. Why should we have to go to third parties for this kind of basic functionality that's already built into free software like WordPress?
                        it is thanks to advice like this of you that I did not lose money on the vbulletin mobile and went directly to tapatalk and forumrunner who as you righteously said are making a fortune. Good for them. After all, that is how commerce is done: somebody fails something, someone else comes and finds a nice solution and makes a fortune.

all too bad for vbulletin.

Comment

LEARNER29, the only one who should be making ad revenue from a community you've built is *you*. I'm not against paying for an app when it delivers functionality or content beyond a basic website, but for the vast majority of us apps are a red herring.

What we need is better documentation on the existing templates for mobile. That stone would kill about 100 birds.

Comment

LEARNER29, the only one who should be making ad revenue from a community you've built is *you*. I'm not against paying for an app when it delivers functionality or content beyond a basic website, but for the vast majority of us apps are a red herring.

What we need is better documentation on the existing templates for mobile. That stone would kill about 100 birds.
                            pierguy, it is not only the documentation, it is far more.

If you read around, you would see that many are seriously complaining about the vb mobile not working as expected, often giving errors, often failing and not at all satisfactory.

Add to this, the mobile suite as it is provided by vbulletin for example, would require you to have a PAID developper account with Apple to be able to submit your app.......

Why would I want to pay $100 per year to have a developper account with apple that I don't need for anything at all except the vb app?

I'd prefer to let my users buy tapatalk or forumrunner for 2-3 bucks. At the end of the day remember, it is tapatalk or forum runner in that case who is providing support for their own applet, (not you)

Hence the money is well invested.

And if you want to make money of your audience on mobile phones, it is not complicated to include some google ads (if you accept those) on your pages on tapatalk. You will get the revenue. Tapatalk does deserve the 2 bucks it got.

Comment

How is this duplicate content? The app is pulling content from the same source. Right? I do think they are better off developing their mobile style. What I'm seeing is rate of mobile app developement not keeping pace with the forum software. There are bugs now because of this mismatch. What's worse is the app developers are nowhere to be found. vB has gone into this venture halfheartedly leaving customers with unfinished apps. They've abandoned the mobile apps and moved on to Facebook.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X