• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous999
    • Aug 2005
    • 4.1.x

Anroid App Permissions ?

Hi

Can anyone at vB answer why the Android app requires access to so many permissions on the phone

===================
    THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:

HARDWARE CONTROLS
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS
    Allows application to take pictures and videos with the camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.
    ???

YOUR LOCATION
    COARSE (NETWORK-BASED) LOCATION
    Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.
    ???
    FINE (GPS) LOCATION
    Access fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.
    ???

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
    VIEW NETWORK STATE
    FULL INTERNET ACCESS
    Allows an application to create network sockets.

PHONE CALLS
    READ PHONE STATE AND IDENTITY
    Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

STORAGE
    MODIFY/DELETE USB STORAGE CONTENTS MODIFY/DELETE SD CARD CONTENTS
    Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

=======================

Thanks
  • Anonymous999
    • Aug 2005
    • 4.1.x

118 views and no one at vB can answer why ?

I have been asked my some members of a vB forum that has the mobile suite installed and thought a good place to find the answer to their questions would be here ?!

Comment

• worried
      • Dec 2008
      • 4.2.X

The question has been asked before. I can't remember who answered it--maybe Adrian. Please do a search in the meantime and hopefully someone will answer your question.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Picture/video permission AFAIK is for uploading video/picture content
        Locaton is for Serving Ads that are geo-targeted.
        I believe the network stuff is for uploading data and communicating with the server.
        Not sure about the call stuff.
        I would image the read-write permissions are again for uploading/downloading content.

Comment

• Anonymous999
          • Aug 2005
          • 4.1.x

Many Thanks

Comment

• alfanexus
            • Dec 2008
            • 5.5.x

too many permissions

Please, please, please try to turn down the permision requirements. There is absolutely no reason to have access to the phone identity and if you dont serve ads then there is no reason to spy on location.

Many of my users will not be using the app becaurse of this! And whats the point of having an app that users dont dare to download.

Comment

• Ace
              • Apr 2004
              • 4.2.X

From http://androidforums.com/android-app...g-malware.html :

Read phone state and identity
              Phone calls

This permission is of moderate to high importance. Unfortunately this permission seems to be a bit of a mixed bag. While it's perfectly normal for an application to want to know if you are on the phone or getting a call, this permission also gives an application access to 2 unique numbers that can identify your phone. The numbers are the IMEI, and IMSI. Many software developers legitimately use these numbers as a means of tracking piracy though. This permission also gives an application to the phone numbers for incoming and outgoing calls.

WARNING: Any app targeting Android 1.5 or below (possibly 1.6 as well) will be granted this permission BY DEFAULT. And you may not ever be warned about it. It is important to pay attention to what version of Android an app is targeting to know if this permission is being granted. You can see this on the Market website in the right hand column.
              My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
              vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...