Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sleepyboy2004
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cronjob78
    What error are you getting in your app exactly?

I'm getting "unexpected server response" mostly and when I go back through my app pages having got that error I get "invalid api signature". This ONLY happens when a user is logged in. If you choose the "skip now" option the splash/login page it works fine but users can't post or check PMs.

I've got an ticket with support and we've tried different things including setting suhosin values in php.ini to the recommended ones but no joy so far. Disabling plugins using the code above unfortunately shows no improvement either. Will update this thread if there's any change.
    Pretty much the same things that is being reported. I do not own an android so I cant test it my self. The only thing is I dont know about using it as a guest. But I know ppl cant post and keep getting that same error. Not even able to log out once logged in.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result Thats my app. If you want to test it out. Pm your name so I can refund you the $1.99 if need it. Thanks

I wish I could have the same forum running with no add-ons and have the mobile point to that one. But both use the same DB to keep track of members and threads, posts... etc

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

silly question, hvae you guys tried disabling all of your addons when you're getting unexpected server response?

Comment

• Sleepyboy2004
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zachery
        silly question, hvae you guys tried disabling all of your addons when you're getting unexpected server response?
        Is there a way to do this just for the phone. My forum would not be the same with out them. I hope something like this is possible. I think everyone has add-ons and third party stuff. Thats what makes each forum unique in its own ways. There has got to be a way around this, if not.. a way needs to be made to keep this app. Im sure I will not be the only unhappy customer.

But to answer your question.. No, not yet. Since I dont have a device to test yet. Until I get time to use a friends.
        I really hope this does not apply to the iPhone app as well. Took me almost a full day to get everything ready, and now waiting on approval from them.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

No, however some addons can conflict with the data being sent to the phone.

Comment

• Sleepyboy2004
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zachery
            No, however some addons can conflict with the data being sent to the phone.
            Wow..
            EPIC fail in my eyes. Waited so long to get is and was excited... now disappointment and sadness...
            I got too many add-ons to find out whats causing it. Then when found... is it going to be worth it removing it for the app. x2

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Sleepyboy2004
              EPIC fail in my eyes.
              Epic fail of what exactly ?

If a 3rd party addon inteferes with, or breaks data the API sends, then thats not a vbulletin issue or failure.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• cronjob78
                • Feb 2006

Sleepyboy, with respect, be patient, EPIC FAIL is an over-reaction.

I'm sure it will be got to the bottom of. If its working for so many other people then there must be a minority of us who have certain settings that won't allow the app to function when we are logged in so its a matter of trying to find out what that issue is. As a programmer I know how painstakingly slow this process can be.

Re: add-ons I've disabled all mine with every other suggestion from support so far and it doesn't seem they are the problem.

Last night, I disabled suhosin in php.ini as that was suspected of being the issue but that unfortunately didn't yield any results either. As usual, just in case I disabled all add-ons just in case but no joy.

I'm awaiting the next suggestion. Hopefully we'll be able to work out where the issue is soon. I'm really looking forward to using it and informing users about it. Aside from the current "unexpected response from server" error it looks and feels great so fingers crossed.

Comment

• Sleepyboy2004
                  • Dec 2008

Sorry, just a bit frustrated. Hope to get to the bottom of with the help. Just got a lot going on and this just happens to be the cherry on top. Again, my apologies.

Comment

• cronjob78
                    • Feb 2006

Voila!

As advised by vBulletin support in the file includes/config.php place this line:

ini_set(display_errors, 0);

right under the opening <?php

This allows me to login and browse and contribute to threads as normal.
                    I also turned on all my plugins and add-ons and it still works. At the moment I have suhosin turned off but I suspect turning it back on might not affect the situation. I'll keep you posted and let me know if this works for the rest of you having the same issue.

I'm not sure if this is a long term viable solution as now I'm assuming there can be no error messages. Let's see....

Comment

• Sleepyboy2004
                      • Dec 2008

Well tried that and still nothing. My sister was by and used her phone and these were some of the msgs that I would randomly get on and off.

Connection error.
                      Please try again

error_postcount_too_low_thread

Also all I could see was the new threads. When clicked on forums, didnt show anything. Tried as a guest, and as my account, and same thing either way.

I think its going to take some work to get my site to work on this app. Still waiting for approval for apple. Hoping I dont have the same issues. But Who knows.

Comment

• Sleepyboy2004
                        • Dec 2008

Quick thing that I wanted to add. How is it possible to have it work perfectly fine with Taptalk? Its almost the same thing, just really not my own app. But everything works with out a problem and dont have to disable anything.

Comment

• cronjob78
                          • Feb 2006

Turning off suhosin and inserting the line above into config.php seems to work for me.

Over the weekend I asked the host to turn on suhosin again and I ended up with the same errors again.

I found out how to tweak suhosin and got it working with suhosin still on. Here's how:

vBulletin support asked me to insert the following lines into the bottom of includes/config.php

suhosin.memory_limit = 32M
                          suhosin.session.encrypt = Off
                          suhosin.log.sapi = 511
                          suhosin.get.max_value_length = 1024
                          suhosin.executor.eval.blacklist = "exec,system,passthru,shell_exec,fopen,file_get_contents,file_put_contents,tmpnam"

I got rid of the final line in bold and the app seems to work ok now with no error messages. If you have root access to your server you can put this in yourself (in Linux don't forget to use the command restart httpd after you save the file so the changes are picked up - don't know how this is done on windows servers) or else contact your host support who will do this for you.

I don't have a mac or iphone so I can't tell whether the app works for iOS or not.
                          I'll update if there are any changes to this situation I'll update below.

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

fopen is pretty noraml, i thought.

Comment

• Sleepyboy2004
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cronjob78
                              Turning off suhosin and inserting the line above into config.php seems to work for me.

Over the weekend I asked the host to turn on suhosin again and I ended up with the same errors again.

I found out how to tweak suhosin and got it working with suhosin still on. Here's how:

vBulletin support asked me to insert the following lines into the bottom of includes/config.php

suhosin.memory_limit = 32M
                              suhosin.session.encrypt = Off
                              suhosin.log.sapi = 511
                              suhosin.get.max_value_length = 1024
                              suhosin.executor.eval.blacklist = "exec,system,passthru,shell_exec,fopen,file_get_contents,file_put_contents,tmpnam"

I got rid of the final line in bold and the app seems to work ok now with no error messages. If you have root access to your server you can put this in yourself (in Linux don't forget to use the command restart httpd after you save the file so the changes are picked up - don't know how this is done on windows servers) or else contact your host support who will do this for you.

I don't have a mac or iphone so I can't tell whether the app works for iOS or not.
                              I'll update if there are any changes to this situation I'll update below.
                              After the 1st change you asked me to put in, things seem to be working better. I guess it took some time for changes to take effect.
                              Debating on adding that code on there or leaving it alone as it still sits..... =/

I managed to also load it on to my iPhone and just minor bugs are happening. Like the main one is; When I go to my profile, it kicks me out of the app. Same issue a lot of ppl have with the Facebook app. Seen it with a few friends.

But for the most part, seems like things are back on the road

Will update of any reported errors and/or problems.

Comment

• Zachery
                                Former vBulletin Support
                                • Jul 2002

I would think can drop fopen, file_get_contents from suhosin, and maybe get it to work.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...