Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deschutes
    • Sep 2008

Help Me Understand Home/Newest

Can someone help me understand this whole home/newest thing. I submitted a ticket mentioning that I am seeing random posts with no activity in months showing up in "newest". They then seem to get stuck there. Other new/active posts don't show up at all. Furthermore, the "bubble" in the post, which I assumed shows the number of follow-up posts or comments, are inaccurate. In one of the posts that is stuck in the list it shows 0, but it rally has quite a few comments. Adding new comments does not fix this or shake it out of the list. My tickets are being closed as duplicates to other sort issues, but I don't think this is the same thing. I know there is talk of the API not behaving in a way that is intuitive, and that it may be flat out broken in this regard, but I wonder if we have multiple issues or behaviors that are not understood and are being lumped together. If anyone can help me understand what is going on I would really appreciate it. This really does make the app kind of suck in that the user is not provided with any real useful or accurate information in the home screen.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

For correction, you have 4 tickets this year and none of them were closed by us. Three were answered and one was closed after you responded that the issue was due to an old mod and you fixed it.

Regarding the crashing issue, this needs to be resolved via this bug report: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBM-1272
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• deschutes
      • Sep 2008

When I say tickets, I am referring to Jira bug reports. You must be talking about unrelated support tickets for other vbulletin issues. I wish any of the mobile issues were as simple as getting rid of an old mod. In fact, I have removed/disabled all mods, styles, etc. I have a VERY clean vB install.

In looking at my Jira bug reports I have submitted:

1272: The crashing issue - Was "Resolved" 1.0.1, but now doesn't seem to be
      1274: Request for refresh button - "Fixed" version 1.1
      1289/11987: This issue - "Resolved" / Duplicate, which I don't think it is

Beyond talking about unrelated tickets, does anyone have any info on this issue? I am really trying to figure this one out. I notice that vB 4.1.4 has mobile API fixes in it. Will this help?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

You said this ion post #1:

I submitted a ticket mentioning...
        I took 'ticket' to mean ticket. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• deschutes
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          You said this ion post #1:

I took 'ticket' to mean ticket. Sorry for the confusion.
          That was my bad, I should have said bug reports. Anyway, any word on home/newest in general?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Right now, 'Newest' only returns the newest threads, not posts.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• deschutes
              • Sep 2008

Right now, 'Newest' only returns the newest threads, not posts.
              Thanks for confirming the basic function. Are there some issues with the posts that newest identifies in general? As I have mentioned, I have random posts that show up in the list, and some new ones don't at all. It seems like it wants to try to display via newest thread, but it gets fouled up by something.

I am sure you are already looking at this, but it would be nice to have the ability to display by newest thread or newest post. Both can be valuable at times.

Thanks again Steve.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

It does not return newest posts, only newest threads. If you believe there is a bug somewhere, then please report this in the vB4 Bug Tracker here:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• deschutes
                  • Sep 2008

It does not return newest posts, only newest threads. If you believe there is a bug somewhere, then please report this in the vB4 Bug Tracker here:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa
                  Sorry, syntax error again. Please replace the word post with thread. I have submitted a bug report.

Comment