X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killerglass
    • May 2007
    • 4.1.x

Newest threads in forums not updating

The newest threads in the forum are not updating for me. Same ones are there that were 4 hours ago 800 posts went by on the forums.

They are from a forum I disabled, I tried activating the forum again with no luck, still the newest post are from earlier today.

Any suggestions how to refresh it or delete the cache. I am very new to apps

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This is what I would do. First, set this:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type -> Database (automatic forum marking)

Then change this is if want, or you can leave it at the default:

Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> General Settings -> Database Read Marking Limit

The first time you set this all posts will show up as unread because the database marking is new. Once you mark the forums as read everything will work fine.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• killerglass
      • May 2007
      • 4.1.x

Again Steve, Thank you very much!

Seems to be working now but not exactly how I thought it might.

I was assuming the "newest" was all updated posts as in VB4 forums, however it looks like only the newly "topics" are appearing.

Thanks again Sir I need to dust off my old eyes and read all I can about this mobile app.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

It will produce threads with new posts. This is exactly the same as vB has done for years.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          It will produce threads with new posts. This is exactly the same as vB has done for years.
          Unfortunately, this isnt what it does (and this is by design ?).

Ive been studying the api getnewtop code tonight, and it doesnt do what most people expect, and worse, it has a number of bugs that mean it doesnt even do what it was [apparently] designed to do properly.

It extracts two arrays of data for the app to display ;

"New" data which is based on the creation date for threads, blogs and articles.

"Top" data which is based on the number of views for threads, blogs and articles.

(Note : This is, for example, the thread creation date, not the date of the last post in the thread).

Once it has this data, it creates individual lists for each type (thread, blog, article) and a combined "all" content list.

There are a couple of nasty bugs in the data - the lastpost date for each thread [or blog, article] is in fact the overall last post date of the last poster - so if the last poster in thread 1 was joe.bloggs, and joe then posts in another thread (thread 2), the last post date for thread 1 will now appear to be the time joe.bloggs posted in thread 2.

When the "new" thread, blog & article data is combined, its re-sorted - but a non existant array field is used, meaning it basically ends up in an unpredictable order. This means on a forum with threads, articles and blogs, the combined data can be an an apparently random order, with last post dates that dont match the real data.

It also means that the "New" data is not what most people expect - it can be threads created [and last posted in] hours ago - if since then, members have only posted in existing [older] threads.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• killerglass
            • May 2007
            • 4.1.x

Although a bug in the display "NEW" thats showing only newly creates "threads/topic".
            Brings to mind the mother of invention process.

I actually like the idea of having to "option" see only "newly" created topics not every response. We do know that all "latest posts" is a much higher priority.

Thank you Gentleman

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...