Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mainframe
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.6.x

I think all the developers have iphones and forgot about our android users. about 90% of the icons on the android market are transparent in some way because non-transparent icons are usually ugly.

To sign your apk use signapk. it's a commandline tool that works great.
    Here it is with standard keys included if u don't want to create your own key.

Copy your app in the same directory as SignAPK, then browse to the directory with cmd and type the following. should be signed in a second or 2 :-)
    java -jar signapk.jar certificate.pem key.pk8 yourapp.apk yourapp-signed.apk
    Attached Files
    Sat-Television.com Forum:
    http://www.satfriends.com/

Sat-Television.com Upload Center:
    http://www.satfriends.com/ulc.php

Comment

• Kyle Furlong
      • Jan 2011

Hi mainframe!

I'm one of the developers of the Android app. My whole day is spent refining our Android offering on a combination of my HTC Incredible device, and the Android emulator. Don't worry that Android is a second class citizen!

Please do feel free to add any bug reports/new feature request to JIRA at http://tracker.vbulletin.com/.

Comment

• CEO254
        • Jan 2008
        • 4.1.x

Has this been solved? Can we use transparent images as launch icons?

If not, please vote for this to be fixed... http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBA-38
        <signature removed by staff>

Comment

• netpants
          • Feb 2010

I too would like transparent icons. There is a whole set of icon building guidelines put out by the android community on how to make a proper icon. Only being able to upload a non transparent square makes the icon look sort ugly compared to all of the beautiful icons in the market.

Comment

• worried
            • Dec 2008
            • 4.2.X

I don't know about android but apple does not want images with alpha transparencies.

Comment

• mainframe
              • Jul 2004
              • 3.6.x

Then there should be a seperate one for android and apple, since android does have transparent icons.. I´m waiting with releasing my app to the public till this issue is fixed, my icon look rediculous now.
              Sat-Television.com Forum:
              http://www.satfriends.com/

Sat-Television.com Upload Center:
              http://www.satfriends.com/ulc.php

Comment

• phantomzer0
                • Dec 2009

If you guys want an easy to use method of getting PROPER transparent icons for Android, use this:

Open it up with admin rights and then it will ask for your apk file. Open it up and replace the weak non-transparent icon with your original nice transparent icon.

EDIT: Well, I guess I was wrong. The app will load ok but once you try t login it ill crash.

Why does it have to be so difficult to get a proper transparent icon This is so dumb.

Comment

• CEO254
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 4.1.x

Will this be implemented on the next Android update???

Comment

• Kyle Furlong
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by CEO254
                    Will this be implemented on the next Android update???
                    This is not an issue with the Android app, but a Mobile Publisher feature which is being implemented at some later date. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBM-1367

Comment

• ikaro
                      • Mar 2010

The launch icon of my app looks terrible as well. This is a problem, it is not smart to place an app into the stores with that kind of icon...

I'll try to replace it with APK edit and resign the app for the Android Store. Anyway, it could be nice to improve the quality of the launch icon directly into the apk provided by you

Dan

Comment

• CEO254
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 4.1.x

Will we be able to use transparent Launch icons for the next update?

Comment

• Stefano Acerbetti
                          Former Lead Mobile Developer
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by CEO254
                          Will we be able to use transparent Launch icons for the next update?
                          this issue on not on the client side... it will be included in the next release of the mobile publisher (very soon)

Comment

• n_i_x
                            • May 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by phantomzer0
                            If you guys want an easy to use method of getting PROPER transparent icons for Android, use this:

Open it up with admin rights and then it will ask for your apk file. Open it up and replace the weak non-transparent icon with your original nice transparent icon.

EDIT: Well, I guess I was wrong. The app will load ok but once you try t login it ill crash.

Why does it have to be so difficult to get a proper transparent icon This is so dumb.
                            APK files are simply zip files. Just open them up with an archive utility (WinZip, WinRAR, 7Zip, etc), replace the icons in res/drawable* with your transparent and properly sized icon, and save. From there you will need to sign the apk. If signing does not work, simply delete the META-INF folder from the apk and try signing again.

I have done this successfully for my application and my app icon is no longer pixelated to all hell.

To determine the appropriate icon size for each resolution (drawable-ldpi, drawable-mdpi, drawable-hdpi) please see the following documentation:

Icons can be used to represent common actions. Material Symbols are a set of variable icon fonts created at seven weights across three different styles.

The application icon is the Launcher icon.

Comment

• SvetSatova
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Stefano Acerbetti
                              this issue on not on the client side... it will be included in the next release of the mobile publisher (very soon)
                              Can you please state the estimated time of "soon"? I have already submitted Android app and all my users are complaining on the ugly icon. I plan to submit iPhone app, but I don't know whether to wait for new mobile publisher or to submit it now and to correct it later. How long does it take for Apple to review your resubmission? Initialy it takes 2-6 weeks, and I wouldn't want to wait another 6 weeks just to replace the icon

Please advise?
                              My baby ...: www.SvetSatova.com :...

Comment