X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • creativepart
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.8.x

posts not showing up after import vb > vb

After a failed import yesterday from a 4.1.12 forum into a 4.1.12 forum I restored the database from before the import and got everything ready to run impex again.

Impex showed that every module worked perfectly -- I skipped step 2 -- all members, threads, and posts imported perfectly from Forum B into Forum A during the import.

After the import I updated the threads, forums and post cache.

The Forums from forum B are all present now on Forum A forum index. When I go to one of these imported Forum B forums in Forum A I see the proper thread index and usernames, post counts and etc. But when I click on the thread there are no posts showing. Also, when I go to a user record from an imported Forum B member in the Admin CP I see the member and his post count is correct. But when I click on "Find more posts from username" I get a response that there are no posts.

Yesterday when I tried the import I ended up with imported posts inserted into the wrong threads.

Any idea what could be causing these issues?

Forum A, which is the forum that's running the impex import has had an import once before but I'm cleaning the import ID and removing the session before I begin working on the import.

Any help would be appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the missing post url in the thread index for my posts I see a post ID of zero.

Here's one: http://www.fendertalk.com/forum/show...2113&p=0#post0

So, that's why I don't see any posts from the import. They all have a post ID of 0

Looking at the thread in the database I can see a post number -- but the post number belongs to some other post.

I also checked the database of Forum B and I can see that a previous import session is not evident.

It appears that Forum B a VB 4.1.12 pl2 forum cannot successfully be imported into Forum A another VB 4.1.12 forum via Impex.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another bit of info -- the forum names on the two forums I'm merging are identical. Could that have anything to do with the problems?

I've made the forum categories all different. But the forums names under each category are identical.

Here's a screen capture to illustrate. You see that the category is Forum Administration on one and TF Forum Administration on the other. But you can also see that the forums under each category are identical. It is that way on all my forum sections on both Forum A and Forum B.

Also, on the TF Forum Administration category in the screen shot you can see threads and recent posts. The threads are there... the post are missing.
    Attached Files
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

I don't think it should matter that the forum names are the same - they should all have a different forumid.

You will need to rebuild the search index in order of any posts/threads to show up during a search.

Did you go through all of the Final Import Steps here - http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleanup ?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• creativepart
      • Jan 2006
      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Lynne
      Did you go through all of the Final Import Steps here - http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_cleanup ?
      Yes, as I mentioned in the OP, I rebuilt threads, forums and post cache.

I've restored that production forum's database so that I could get it back up and running. And, I'm moving back into DEV server retrials to see what's going on.

Since the forum doing the import had an import before I'm clicking on the 3rd cleanup option -- deleting the import ids and the session before I attempt the import. Is that correct? Or is there something else I should do?

I assume that others have used impex successfully on a 4.1.12 install to import another 4.1.12 forum.... yes?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a screen capture to be more clear about what I'm doing. First, I'll repeat, the forum doing the import had an impex import a number of years ago. So, I am cleaning the database via impex before beginning.

Before importing Forum B into Forum A I am clicking on the "Remove Import Ids" clean up option only. Should I be clicking on something else? (I'm not using CMS/Blog on either website).

Also, when I look at the database in the forum doing the import before doing the clean up I see import ID on threads and posts and such, but none on users tables. Is that normal? Shouldn't I see import IDs on the user table before I clean up the database to start the import?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so now in my DEV server I just reran the import.

And again it failed the exact same way as before -- the users are there, forums are there, the threads are there but the posts don't import.

I'm starting to believe that this couple year old Impex can merger two VB 4.1.12 forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Tons of work later.... I think I've figured it out.

When I run the "cleaner" routine to remove import IDs and the session it doesn't actually clean the database. So, when I run the import it gets all messed up in a thousand ways.

So, I went into the database and manually dropped all the import id tables. I used the list of tables generated when you first run impex to know which table should have import IDs.

After manually deleting all of these I reran the import and this time it worked fine. I would encourage a mod to look at this and see if it's a problem with much older import ids contained in the database. I would guess the the import on my forum was completed 10 years ago. After software upgrades over the years the tables have seen many changes. The import id fields of these tables isn't removed or cleared properly by the newest impex and this messes up a new import all these years later.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke too soon. I seem to have lost a ton of members. From the looks of things its the "older" members that may have been on the forum before the previous import.

So, it's back to the test bed drawing board.
      Last edited by creativepart; Sun 3 Feb '13, 11:58am.

Comment

• Maqboolh
        • Jul 2013
        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by creativepart

Tons of work later.... I think I've figured it out.

When I run the "cleaner" routine to remove import IDs and the session it doesn't actually clean the database. So, when I run the import it gets all messed up in a thousand ways.

So, I went into the database and manually dropped all the import id tables. I used the list of tables generated when you first run impex to know which table should have import IDs.

After manually deleting all of these I reran the import and this time it worked fine. I would encourage a mod to look at this and see if it's a problem with much older import ids contained in the database. I would guess the the import on my forum was completed 10 years ago. After software upgrades over the years the tables have seen many changes. The import id fields of these tables isn't removed or cleared properly by the newest impex and this messes up a new import all these years later.
        Hello creativepart, i am in the same problem now. Though Stats and all are showing up properly. most of the threads disappeared from the board. Can you please tell me exactly what you did in the Database and exactly which data base (Source or Target)?

Also when i am trying to run http://forums.techdiscussion.in/impex/tools/cleaner.php, it shows me blank white page with a text "Not active". What is meant by this? How can i run the cleaner.php?

Please help soon.

Comment

• creativepart
          • Jan 2006
          • 3.8.x

Can't help you Maqboolh, I posted that I thought I'd figured it out. But upon further research everything was made worse by getting rid of the old ID. So, I eventually gave up. I never got it to work and didn't want to fool with the lousy program any longer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...