Importing New Users from mailing list CSV or database instructions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BatCave
    • Jun 2010

Importing New Users from mailing list CSV or database instructions?

Where can I find instructions for importing a list new users?

I need to create new users from a CSV containing usernames and emails and then notify those people about their account login details.

I can't seem to find any sort of detailed steps for using Impex or any other method to do this.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Create a .csv file with three columns:

- username
    - password
    - email address

...and upload it to your server. Edit ImpexConfig.php and set the following to 'false'

$impexconfig
    ['sourceexists'] = false;

When you run Impex, you should be asked where the file is - enter this and it should import the user information.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• BatCave
      • Jun 2010

Thank you so much!

- - - Updated - - -

is there a column I can put in there if I want them to be added to a specific usergroup?

If I don't have passwords, can I just send them all an email reset request instead?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

No, that's all that can be imported - if you know which groupings you want, you can run an import for one set, move them to the appropriate usergroup then run subsequent imports for the others moving them after each run.

You would be best to import a default password (even 'changeme') which they can then change. Then, using the built in email system send them a mail sucha s the following:

Hello $username,

We have recently moved our forum to vBulletin, part of moving means that you are required to reset your password. If you follow this link and enter your email address you will be emailed directions to resetting your password.

http://www.example.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw&email=$email

Thanks,
        Webmaster of example.com
        Vote for:

Comment

• BatCave
          • Jun 2010

It's all just one special user group. Will that be obvious and easy to move once they are imported? I just don't want to get jammed up and have to edit six thousand users
          I'll read the manual on mass moving people to user groups.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
            vBulletin Support
            • Aug 2002
            • 5.7.X

The Move Users tool should be able to move them OK - just select a post count of less than 1 and it should pick them all up.
            Vote for:

Comment

• sGroupInt
              • Jun 2008
              • 3.7.x

...and upload it to your server. Edit ImpexConfig.php and set the following to 'false'

$impexconfig
              ['sourceexists'] = false;

When you run Impex, you should be asked where the file is - enter this and it should import the user information.
              I uploaded my .csv file to my server and adjusted my ImpExConfig file to false, but I am not getting asked where the file is?
              I only have options to chose a system.

Is there settings in the SOURCE or ADVANCED sections that need to be changed to use .csv files?

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

From the list of Source systems, choose the 'Text File Importer' option from the dropdown
                Vote for:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...