X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loco.M
    • Mar 2005
    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by woffie
    Yes, I have the CMS and blogs features there, but all my articles and blogs did not get installed.
    You used impex.... correct?

There is no reason at all to use impex to move to a new host.
    -- Web Developer for hire
    ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• woffie
      • Jan 2009
      • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
      You used impex.... correct?

There is no reason at all to use impex to move to a new host.
      Is there anyone one else that would like to tell me this? Really!

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

You used a big chainsaw, when you needed a screw driver. Its what we're going to tell you.

So you have a full and complete database backup from your old webhost, correct?
        On your old webhost how did you make this backup?

Comment

• woffie
          • Jan 2009
          • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Zachery
          You used a big chainsaw, when you needed a screw driver. Its what we're going to tell you.

So you have a full and complete database backup from your old webhost, correct?
          On your old webhost how did you make this backup?
          I have a week old backup from the old webhost. I used their backup program. The old host is host gator. I am glad I did what I did as far as importing the old database into a clean install of vb4. Now I do not have a bunch of old modification tables in my database. I have the threads, posts, memberships, etc... with no modifications. I will be VERY selective in regards to adding any modifications to the new database. If you guys just want to criticize me and not help me, that is fine. If you want to help me try to restore the blogs and articles, that would be much appreciated, the one thing I am NOT going to do it try to set the forum back up on the old database, I tried and it did not work right.

Comment

• Loco.M
            • Mar 2005
            • 3.5.x

Is there anyone one else that would like to tell me this? Really!
            Can impex even import the blogs or cms?

Your best bet is to setup the backup on the new host like you should have in the first place, otherwise it's not going to be easy getting your blogs/groups/cms/profile comments etc into your new install.

Not to mention now all old links to your forums and threads are dead, as well as all indexed pages will have to be rescanned.

If you don't want my help, I'll gladly find something else to do.

Cheers

Comment

• woffie
              • Jan 2009
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Loco.M
              Can impex even import the blogs or cms?

Your best bet is to setup the backup on the new host like you should have in the first place, otherwise it's not going to be easy getting your blogs/groups/cms/profile comments etc into your new install.

Not to mention now all old links to your forums and threads are dead, as well as all indexed pages will have to be rescanned.

If you don't want my help, I'll gladly find something else to do.

Cheers
              There are three options, blogs, CMS or forum. There should be another one for all three. I am not sure how many ways I need to say that setting up on the old database is not an option. So you don't even know what Impex does and doesn't do, I guess you just felt like piling on huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I rarely ever seek help with the software, now I understand the frustration by many people with the support for the product. It is horrible and I would not recommend vBulletin to anyone else. I can live without my old articles and the blog posts.

Comment

• Loco.M
                • Mar 2005
                • 3.5.x

I understand the frustration by many people with the support for the product. It is horrible and I would not recommend vBulletin to anyone else. I can live without my old articles and the blog posts.
                Where is the frustration exactly, you're trying to do something incorrect?

user error, not software error

Comment

• In Omnibus
                  • Apr 2010

Well, I rarely ever seek help with the software, now I understand the frustration by many people with the support for the product. It is horrible and I would not recommend vBulletin to anyone else. I can live without my old articles and the blog posts.
                  I'd say that's remarkably disingenuous. In this thread alone there is a bona fide vBulletin support technician and a very knowledgeable vBulletin customer attempting to answer your questions and address problems which you appear to have created for yourself. The frustration level is understandable. No one enjoys losing the content of their forums. Claiming a lack of support or that there exists here a valid reason not to recommend the product is being dishonest with yourself.

Now then, if you want to restore your forums entirely, including the CMS and the blogs, you need to create a new database on your new host and to restore your database backup to the new database on the new host. You then need to upload the entire contents of the vBulletin root directory, including all folders and files contained therein to your new server root.

Should you choose not to do the above, nobody here or anywhere else can help you.

Comment

• woffie
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by ProSportsForums
                    I'd say that's remarkably disingenuous. In this thread alone there is a bona fide vBulletin support technician and a very knowledgeable vBulletin customer attempting to answer your questions and address problems which you appear to have created for yourself. The frustration level is understandable. No one enjoys losing the content of their forums. Claiming a lack of support or that there exists here a valid reason not to recommend the product is being dishonest with yourself.

Now then, if you want to restore your forums entirely, including the CMS and the blogs, you need to create a new database on your new host and to restore your database backup to the new database on the new host. You then need to upload the entire contents of the vBulletin root directory, including all folders and files contained therein to your new server root.

Should you choose not to do the above, nobody here or anywhere else can help you.
                    Wait, you are saying something completely different. They are saying upload the database and point the config file to the database. See I did what you are saying, I created a new database and used impex to restore the database. How do you restore a new database?

Comment

• Ace
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 4.2.X

Wait, you are saying something completely different. They are saying upload the database and point the config file to the database. See I did what you are saying, I created a new database and used impex to restore the database. How do you restore a new database?
                      My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                      vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...