X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intocake
    • Jun 2014
    • 5.0.X

Importing Avatars and Attachments from phpbb to vB

I want to start off by saying that I search around a lot thru threads with the same question but never found one with an answer.

As the title implies, I'm not able to successfully import avatars or attachments from my phpBB 3 boards to vBulletin 4.

Avatars don't import when I do the User Import even when I set the path correctly for the avatars.

I tried using the directory like /boards/images/avatars/upload and http://www.sitename.com/boards/images/avatars/upload

I noticed on this page that it doesn't show "avatars" for phpbb 3:

Is there really no way to import avatars from phpbb to vBulletin? Is there something I'm doing wrong or some other way to do it that I can't find?

Also to note that the following error appears at the top of the Import User page:

Warning: Declaration of phpBB3_004::init() should be compatible with that of ImpExModule::init() in ..../impex/index.php on line 468

Attachments

When I try to transfer attachments I get the following error on each attachment as it trying to import:

Source not found: FILE_NAME_FROM_PHPBB

I tried using the directory like /boards/files/ and http://www.sitename.com/boards/files/

Also to note that the following error appears at the top of the Attachments Import page:

Warning: Declaration of phpBB3_004::init() should be compatible with that of ImpExModule::init() in ..../impex/index.php on line 429

Final Note.
    I have other problems with this whole process, but these are the most serious ones as I can't continue to the next part of the import until I figure out how to fix these problems.
    Last edited by intocake; Mon 15 Sep '14, 11:05pm.
  • intocake
    • Jun 2014
    • 5.0.X

Not even any advice or links?

I paid hundreds of dollars for a vB license under the impression that I'd be able to transfer everything fairly seamlessly. This is a real disappointment.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Sorry, we haven't updated the impex stuff in forever, generally, that is correct though. Avatars wont import. But Attachments should.

What version of PHP are you running?

You need to give the system the FULL SYSTEM path, should be something like /home/blah/public_html/boards/files or c:\a\path\to\your\forumdirectory\filedirectory

If you don't know your system path, ask your webhost.

Comment

• superj707
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by intocake
        Not even any advice or links?

I paid hundreds of dollars for a vB license under the impression that I'd be able to transfer everything fairly seamlessly. This is a real disappointment.
        Did you ever find a solution? Because I am having the exact same problem.

Comment

• superj707
          • Sep 2014

*that horrible feeling when it slowly dawns on you that you've made a big mistake ($400 big)
          I honestly feel horrible over this... I haven't slept in days.

Comment

• intocake
            • Jun 2014
            • 5.0.X

Originally posted by superj707
            *that horrible feeling when it slowly dawns on you that you've made a big mistake ($400 big)
            I honestly feel horrible over this... I haven't slept in days.
            I got users, threads, and posts to transfer over(I think it's okay... still testing stuff). I guess I'll have to write some custom code to transfer avatars. I'm currently looking for a template or something for the cleaner.php file for someone who came from HTML based posts to BBcode. If I could find a template to work with for that issue it would be good instead of trying to think of every possible case on my own that would need to be converted.

I feel pretty bad about the purchase too, but there's nothing that can be done now. I even talked to support before making the purchase and they reassured me the process is easy and can be done and so on. Then after paying I find out the impex/import system hasn't been updated for years and there's basically no support/help for it.

Comment

• intocake
              • Jun 2014
              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Zachery
              Sorry, we haven't updated the impex stuff in forever, generally, that is correct though. Avatars wont import. But Attachments should.

What version of PHP are you running?

You need to give the system the FULL SYSTEM path, should be something like /home/blah/public_html/boards/files or c:\a\path\to\your\forumdirectory\filedirectory

If you don't know your system path, ask your webhost.

Hey, my PHPbb system stores the attachments at a path like this: /boards/download/file.php?id=X. The actual files are stored at a different path. So what to do here?

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

You need to tell impex the system directory your phpbb avatars are stored in.

Comment

• intocake
                  • Jun 2014
                  • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                  You need to tell impex the system directory your phpbb avatars are stored in.

I tried that and it just fails every time.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...