X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metalkia
    • Jan 2010

need help on merge my old database to new database

Hi,

can anyone help me to merge my database ? in this case , I have 2 database which are :
    db1 and db2.

db1 is old database but contain full all my forum attachment
    db2 is new database but the attachment is gone when I try to restore to a new server, but it used for a 2 weeks , so db2 contain new member and new posting but there half of the attachment on the old posting are gone.

so what I want is , merge db1 and db2, I want to move this new 2 weeks member and the posting from db2 to this old db1.

if anyone can help me? I dont mind to pay. Thanks.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

You can import, but not really "merge" in the way that I think you want.

To "import together" two incomplete copies of the same database you need to deal with the duplicate content. When you import it will not merge together the duplicate threads and forums. So you will need to delete the duplicates before or after the import. On the other hand, user accounts can be automatically merged based on email address if you enable that option in the importer.

So basically just run a vB -> vB import using ImpEx and then deal with the duplicate content. Or just do the move again and lose 2 weeks of content. An import is a poor solution for a bad server move. Ideally the move needs to be done correctly before moving forward. Fixing it later is messy.

Or this might also be a situation where you can just copy over the missing attachments, no import required. For example, if the attachments are stored in the file system on the old server and you just forgot to copy them over during the move, then in that situation you should be able to copy the missing attachments to the new server. The associations will already be there.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...