X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tChristine
    • Apr 2010

Strange Text Characters After Import

Hello,

After importing from PHPBB3, strange text characters / symbols are appearing in Posts on VB.

Details:
    • There were no bbcodes used in the posts prior to it being imported. No addons, no plugins - nothing.
    • The posts were plain text prior to being imported.
    • A single post can be half error filled. And the other half of it, is not.

Example of Result:
    • The sentence: "I didn't know that."
    • Appears as: “I didn’know that”

Commas and Quotes are way off.

I've had 3 separate migrations since purchasing, and each time, this occurs throughout posts. But, not even ALL the way through the posts, just intermittently.

Any idea what this could be? I'm at a stand-still until I know how to correct this issue, which is throughout thousands of posts.

Thanks

EDIT: Someone mentioned this could be due to VB not encoding the UTF-8 characters correctly. I'm not sure if this is true? Has VB had any difficulties with UTF character encoding with import / migration?
    Last edited by tChristine; Thu 10 Mar '11, 2:06am. Reason: adding additional info
    FF w/ Web Dev / Firebug / DW
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Are the mysql character sets between both softwares the same?

Comment

• tChristine
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Zachery
      Are the mysql character sets between both softwares the same?
      Hi Zachary,

I'd like to determine that.

What is the default character set for VB - used during import / migration?

Thanks

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

vBulletin uses the default english character set in the master language, but what is more import is how the data was sstored in the original and new database. Check the default database colition in mysql.

Comment

• tChristine
          • Apr 2010

vBulletin uses the default english character set in the master language, but what is more import is how the data was sstored in the original and new database.
          Okay, which do you consider the default English character set? /en/ or /en_us/

Check the default database colition in mysql.
          On which database - the new VB one?

And, what do you mean by "colition in mysql"? I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by colition =/

Thanks - I think we're getting somewhere.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Both databases, also mysql collation (sorry, had the wrong spelling) http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/...-charsets.html

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...