X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homeworld'sa
    • Sep 2009
    • 3.8.x

vB 3.x to vb 4.0?

Is it possible to import your vB 3.x forum into 4.0? Just want to make sure that all the threads will appear and such in my test forum before I release my testing forum to the general public.
    That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

You should NOT be using Impex to upgrade your site to vB4. You should be using the regular upgrade script.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
      • Sep 2009
      • 3.8.x

??
      Haven't even started with impex yet. What do you mean by "Regular Upgrade Script?"
      I want to import my vB 3.x topics on the live site, into my vB 4.0 test forum.
      That's it. If you REALLY can't say ANYTHING nice to me at all on this forum, then I am going to go insanely mad at you. I've had enough of the UNTOLD ABUSE you are all giving me and you should really be CONSIDERATE of other people.

Comment

• hellswrath
        • Dec 2009

The upgrade script is built in with the install script. Just make a copy DB and copy of your forum to do it all on so if it fails some where or some things don't work your not stuck with it you will still have your site still online and untouched.

I think that is what Lynne was talking bout. I am trying it now so i can explain it better when i see it..

Comment

• rootsxrocks
          • Aug 2009
          • 4.2.X

im looking forward to your results.
          Designing Your Forum Around The Members Lifestyle becoming A Valuable Asset To The Community With VB Before Trying To Make A Buck.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
            • Sep 2009
            • 3.8.x

I won't be using vb4 yet anyway, not til there is an import script created for vB 3.x to vB4.0

Comment

• Lynne
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Oct 2004

By "regular upgrade script", I am talking about upgrading via the route you are suppose to upgrade, by pointing your browser to yoursite.com/install/upgrade.php .

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Impex is not a tool for upgrading, site migration, or anything else like that. It is designed to move from software a to vBulletin, or merge two forums together. If you want to create a test site, backup the database, restore it, and use the upgrade scripts to see how it goes.

Comment

• hellswrath
                  • Dec 2009

Got it to work great! All post and information was converted over fine.

Basically just make another mysql db copy your current sql info to that new db you just made. copy your old forum folder to a new folder with a different name (example forum2). Go in the /includes/config.php file make sure you adjust it to reflect the new db and not your live site db.

You will then want to go to your admin control panel to update the "Forum URL" & "Homepage URL" settings to allow the images and for the forum to operate correctly.
                  Go to your beta forums into admin control panel > "vBulletin Options" followed by clicking "vBulletin Options" > "Site Name / URL / Contact Details". After going to "Site Name / URL / Contact" you need to edit the links "Forum URL" & "Homepage URL".
                  Disable ALL plugins/addons you have just in case some cause issues with the site. After i did all of that i downloaded 4.0, then i uploaded all the 4.0 files to the forum2 folder. Then i ran the install which is in /install/ (it will automatically open up the upgrade) run the update and once that is done go to your forum and check it out.

Did all the above and my site is running 4.0.
                  Just really make sure you update your config.php file before you run the install otherwise you WILL be updating your live site which could create major issues...

Don't think i skipped anything. Good luck!
                  Last edited by hellswrath; Thu 24 Dec '09, 6:27am.

Comment

• Homeworld'sa
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Thanks guys.
                    But I think that when I am ready for vB4, I'll just upgrade as normal. Not gonna bother with a test site.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

make sure you backup just in case

Comment

• Jerry
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                        Impex is not a tool for upgrading, site migration, or anything else like that. It is designed to move from software a to vBulletin, or merge two forums together. If you want to create a test site, backup the database, restore it, and use the upgrade scripts to see how it goes.
                        Exactly as Zachery said.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Taurus1
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by hellswrath
                          Then go in the forum options and update to the new location so all images and what not appear when installation is done.
                          Don't think i skipped anything. Good luck!
                          I understand all the other instructions you give. Can I please ask you to explain this step for me in more detail please!!

Thank you!!
                          For custom designed Windows 7 Visual Styles/Themes, please visit CreativX!

Comment

• hellswrath
                            • Dec 2009

Because we have the 4.0 running on a beta forum separate from your live site, Go to your beta forums into admin control panel > "vBulletin Options" followed by clicking "vBulletin Options" > "Site Name / URL / Contact Details". After going to "Site Name / URL / Contact" you need to edit the links "Forum URL" & "Homepage URL".

You will want to do this only if you are running a test forum to make sure everything works. I had to do this on my beta forums to get my theme/images to show up.

If you are installing this on your live site, then editing these two fields should not be necessary.
                            Last edited by hellswrath; Thu 24 Dec '09, 6:25am.

Comment

• Birute
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                              My test site I installed vBulletin Suite Gold, I have done a backup of my live vBulletin 3.8.4 forum. So from here I should put the backup file in the test forums root directory then do a restore from there?
                              The test site I have built all the forums and child forums to match my live site.
                              Last edited by Birute; Sun 3 Jan '10, 9:37am. Reason: add additional info

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...