X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cragtay
    • Jul 2008

A nightmare with import from vB to vB

Oh my god, it is a terrible nightmare

I have a medium-size vB forum upgrade several times from 3.6.x to now 3.7.2 PL1. I want to make a new fresh forum but keep the users, posts, and threads, etc. I installed a new vB 3.7.2 PL1 forum. I run the import from vB 3.0.* - 3.7.* to 3.6.* - 3.7.*. I increased the settings about memory in php.ini and my.cnf and I reduce the number of import items per cycle for the import. At last, I finished all the modules successfully after 20 hours, even though there are some crashes. When I log in to AdminCP to do some Final Import Steps as said in the manual, I can't access
    Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Show All Moderators -> Edit
    and
    Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions
    I click to Forum manager and see only 2 default ones: Main Category and Main Forum.

The database seems to be corrupt because I only can access to some parts of the AdminCP.

And the nightmare happens when I go to my current forum, and there is some errors. Some posts and threads are displayed normally, and some ones disappeared. What's happened? What's wrong? How to fix it?

Please help me
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

We do not officially support the use of Impex in lieu of a regular upgrade.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• David Grove
      • Apr 2008
      • 5.5.x

The idea of "starting fresh" sounds all warm and fuzzy, but there's really no merit to it. It doesn't matter if you started with vBulletin 1.0, just keep doing your upgrades and there will be no problems.
      ~~~~~

Comment

• Jerry
        • Dec 2002
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by sockwater
        The idea of "starting fresh" sounds all warm and fuzzy, but there's really no merit to it. It doesn't matter if you started with vBulletin 1.0, just keep doing your upgrades and there will be no problems.
        Indeed, and using ImpEx to do so creates more issues than it solves.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• cragtay
          • Jul 2008

My forum has been online for 1 year. In that period, I upgraded, installed some mods, hacks, plugins, etc. and edited the style (not default style of vbulletin, and I can't remember all changed things).

I can uninstall some mods which I don't want, and install a new style to current forum. However, it is like when you uninstall a software from Windows: the uninstall process is not completely remove all things. There will have some files, settings, etc. left in the OS.

Now I want to change to another style and don't want to use some mods any more. In general, I want to make a new, fresh forum with latest version of vB but keep the users, forums, threads and posts which have been in my current forum.

Other people suggested me using Impex, so I used it. Is there any different way?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

There is no officially supported method of removing add-ons. You would have to contact the author of each add-on to get complete instructions for doing this.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...