X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markowitch
    • Nov 2005

Removing imported data?

Hi vbulletin folks!

How do I remove imported data from my vbulletin installation? I have a fresh forum install and have imported data from my phpbb forum. I have used this data to play with vbulletin and get a better knowledge of the system.

I have also updated vbulletin with language translations and set up a custom look and feel for the forum. All of this is stored in the database together with the imported phpbb data.

Now Im ready to go live with vBulletin. I'm going to close my phpbb site and transfer its data to vbulletin using ImpEx. However, how do I remove the old "test" data from the system, without also deleting translation and styles?

Any suggestions?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

What data do you want to remove exactly and did you finalize that import?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Markowitch
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      What data do you want to remove exactly and did you finalize that import?
      I want to remove stuff like users, threads, posts, forums and groups. Basically I just want plain vanilla with only styles, translations and plug-ins beeing kept.

I don't know if I finalized the data - how do I check that?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

What shows it you run Impex again? Does it show the results of each module?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jerry
          • Dec 2002
          • 1.1.x

You can use the link at the top of every ImpEx page to remove imported data, and the session, then start again.
          I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Markowitch
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jerry
            You can use the link at the top of every ImpEx page to remove imported data, and the session, then start again.
            Thanx Jerry! At the top of the ImpEx page in the AdminCP, there is a link called Database cleanup & restart and according to the help page there should be an option called Delete Session and all imported data which should do what I want. To remove all the test data from the last import. The documentation says nothing about styles and modules, so I figure that they will be kept .

Further, there is also an option button for each module of the ImpEx import called Redo Module which seems to do the same thing as the above, however, on a per module basis.

I guess that I should under no circumstances use the Remove importids option, since those importids are used to determine what should be cleaned up? I guess that is what is referred to as finalization of an import?
            Last edited by Markowitch; Wed 14 Nov '07, 11:54am.

Comment

• Jerry
              • Dec 2002
              • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Markowitch
              Thanx Jerry! At the top of the ImpEx page in the AdminCP, there is a link called Database cleanup & restart and according to the help page there should be an option called Delete Session and all imported data which should do what I want. To remove all the test data from the last import.
              That is correct.

The documentation says nothing about styles and modules, so I figure that they will be kept .
              Only data that ImpEx imported will be removed, it doesn't import styles so they are safe and I'm not too sure what you mean by modules.

Further, there is also an option button for each module of the ImpEx import called Redo Module which seems to do the same thing as the above, however, on a per module basis.
              Yes, re-running a module will remove all data of that type and reimport it, then you will need to rerun dependant modules, so if you reimport threads, you will need to do posts and attachments.

I guess that I should under no circumstances use the Remove importids option, since those importids are used to determine what should be cleaned up?
              Correct, removing them finalises an import.
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Markowitch
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jerry
                Only data that ImpEx imported will be removed, it doesn't import styles so they are safe and I'm not too sure what you mean by modules.
                By modules I was referring to Add-Ins/Plug-Ins like vbArcade.
                So I assume they won't be removed as well - just like translations also will be kept.

Comment

• Jerry
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 1.1.x

Yes, ImpEx wont touch them.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...