• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrismk
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Transferring a Forum

Stumbling around a bit here!
    We have a v3.5.4 forum whose licence runs out at the end of the month.
    This forum will be handled by a new domain.
    I purchased v3.6 yesterday.

This is a very modest forum and the hosting site comes with just one MySql database. I have read that Impex needs two separate databases (source and target). Have I hit a brick wall?

Regards
    Chris
  • Jerry
    • Dec 2002
    • 1.1.x

You only need to import between vBulletin versions where upgrading isn't an option.

As for the one database, you can load two sets of tables into one database, you just use a different table prefix to differentiate between them.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• chrismk
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

You'll have to bear with me on this Jerry!
      I seem to have successfully installed the software and I can now access the forum from the site through the Administrator account.

I have a .sql backup file from the old forum.
      Do I use Impex or can I use phpMyAdmin?

Chris

Comment

• Jerry
        • Dec 2002
        • 1.1.x

Any reason why you are importing and not upgrading ?
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• chrismk
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.6.x

The newly licensed copy is on a newly created different domain with a different hosting company.

Comment

• Jerry
            • Dec 2002
            • 1.1.x

You can move the old database over and upgrade it.
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• chrismk
              • Aug 2006
              • 3.6.x

None of this is making much sense.
              The only mention of upgrading that I can find in the manual is when vBulletin itself is being upgraded.
              Can you point me somewhere that describes what you are suggesting please.

Chris

Comment

• Martin
                • Apr 2000
                • 3.5.x

Chris, what you would ant to do is create a new database on the new server, leave it empty, then import your backup from the old server into the empty database. You could then upload the vBulletin 3.6.0 files and run the upgrade script. There is no need for 2 databases.

Since you have already installed vBulletin at the new site, you should empty the database then import the backup.

The instructions for moving servers are here:

We currently do not provide this service officially but some members of the support team do this on the side. If you are unable to do this yourself, please let me know and I'll see if someone can do this for you. Note that this requires having telnet or SSH access to both servers.

If you do not have SSH/Telnet the backup can be created using either phpMyAdmin or through the backup feature in the Admin Control Panel. If your forum is very large, these methods may be unreliable and you may have to get your hosting company to perform the backup for you.
                Webmaster:
                @forumz

Comment

• chrismk
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Thanks Martin.
                  There are 300 threads and 1450 posts so I guess that isn't large in the scheme of things.
                  So I create a database and leave it empty; ie no tables?

I have a .sql backup file created from the feature in the Admin Control Panel on the old site (V.3.5.4)
                  How do I get that into the new database? Can I use phpMyAdmin?

Since I already have V3.6 on the new server do I need to run the upgrade script?

Chris

Comment

• Martin
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.5.x

Once you empty the database you wll no longer have 3.6.0. Yes, create a database and leave it empty. Then use phpMyAdmin to import the .sql file from your home computer.
                    If you have SSH access it would be better to use it over phpMyAdmin. You would need to log in via SSH, navigate to where you uploaded the .sql file to your server and run the following line command:

mysql -u[db username] -p [newdbname] < backupfilename.sql

you will be prompted for your password. enter it and your database will be imported.

If you have to use phpMyAdmin, you want to navigate to the empty database and use the SQL tab to import the file. It will only import from your home computer. You cannot import from the .sql file you uploaded to your website.
                    Many hosting companies place restrictions on the size of the file that can be imported via phpMyAdmin, so if it doesn't work and you do not have SSH access, you will need to upload the .sql file and ask your hosting company to import it for you.
                    Webmaster:
                    @forumz

Comment

• chrismk
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3.6.x

I don't have SSH access but the backup file is within the quoted phpMyAdmin file size limit.

Once I have the database in place do I then run the upgrade script?

Chris

Comment

• chrismk
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 3.6.x

Success!

Many thanks Martin & Jerry for your support not least the quick responses!

Regards
                        Chris

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...