Users Lost during Import/Merge with no warning!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sblair
    • Feb 2006

Users Lost during Import/Merge with no warning!!

LOST USERS IN IMPORT!

I just found out the very hard way after 12 hours of importing and reconfiguring that I've lost a bunch of users somehow.

Running vBulletin v3.5.4 using Impex 1.30

Imported 2 different UBB.Threads databases into a new vB database. Have just discovered that some of the users are missing completely.

Their posts are there, but they user records are not. During the import it indicated all the users were succesfully imported but they were not.

When I look at posts those users made I see this in the Postbit:

"MACotter

When I look in the Users db they are no where to be found.

What are my options here....do I have to start all over again??
  • sblair
    • Feb 2006

Forgot to mention we're out of our testing phase and this happened in the process of our live rollover....so any quick help on what to try would be great!

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

At this point I would start over since this is just a test. And watch each of the modules to make sure they are completing.

Opps: Not a test. Nonetheless still think you need to start over.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• sblair
        • Feb 2006

Okay...

I rolled back to a Pre-Import backup. Only Admin users and no forum/post data.

I imported the first UBB database. It reported 179 users successful, 0 fail.

I checked the vb_user table in MySQL and it reported the correct number.

I then Removed the ImportID's to do the next import. It reports it successfully imported 1530 Users, 0 Fail.

I then go look in the vb_user table again and it stopped at *exactly* userID 1000! There is some over lap between users in the two databases, but only about 40 people...even 100% overlap wouldn't result in losing 500 people.

One of the systems being imported has over 4000 posts, but when I look in vb_post it has exactly 1000 post ID's. Same thing with Threads.

The import routine is putting data in but it doesn't seem to be making it all into MySQL.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Jerry
          • Dec 2002
          • 1.1.x

If you are performing a multi import you have to finalize each import before doing the next one.

I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• sblair
            • Feb 2006

After each of the Imports I do the following...

After the last import is there something different I need to do?

Should there be any concern with running Repair/Optimize tables?

Remove importids

To delete the importids in the database, click here, also removes the session. This will allow you to do consecutive imports

Comment

• Jerry
              • Dec 2002
              • 1.1.x

The only thing you need to do is remove the importid's, you can check that it has run correctly by running this SQL :

Code:
              SELECT count(*) FROM user WHERE importuserid <> 0;
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• sblair
                • Feb 2006

Is there any danger of losing data when doing a Repair/Optimize after I'm done doing all the import and cleaning?

Heard on other systems where this can be an issue.

Comment

• Jerry
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by sblair
                  Is there any danger of losing data when doing a Repair/Optimize after I'm done doing all the import and cleaning?

Heard on other systems where this can be an issue.
                  No, that just fixes any broken tables, as with any import test the process from beginning to end to ensure that its ok.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...