Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoTTi
    • Jul 2002

Import system is very confusing and needs work

now im not gunna knock the system cuz im sure it took a long time to code and get it all together and working right. but to import is a real big hassle.

now like prolly hundreds of us here, we have been with vbulletin boards for a long time, and i have multiple boards i admin and whatever, but 1 board that i baby. and now, im wanting to bring the board from 3.0.8 to 3.5.0 and join the fun. but its giving me problems with a upgrade with use of the new hacks on vb.org and the updates they have. most of the hacks arent coming with 3.0.x uninstall options int he new 3.5.x series, so the process is converting back to 3.0.x, then either impex'n to a fresh copy or uninstalling every single hack manually. well thats a big task for boards heavily hacked up like mine and im sure tons more.

the import system...very helpful. BUT it is very complicated @ the same time. im not a skilled coder, and i dont understand sometimes the instructions. i do ask for help and get the answer but its just more task and time consuming. i feel, and im sure more do, that the import system needs a more user/admin friendly feel. and heres what i mean:

i still dont comprehend the meaning of importid's

why is there no option to import user permissions for forums?

why does the forum NEED to be online when doing the import? this, for me, causes concern. its no big deal really, but its like um why? in my situation, i can just create another DB, backup the original, copy all the files in 1 folder to another, boom bam boom and import with anything getting damaged, and if i have a problem just import the db, delete file, bring back folder, lalalalala...so on. but why does the forum need 2 be offline?

after im done importing the users and usergroups, there is a few problems.
    1: when i goto mass move the users, and select the usergroup to pull them from, then it goes to a new page with a dropdown where im suppose to place them...well the "oroginal" or new 350 usergroups arent in that list. only the custom usergroups will be listed. i have to manually, 1 by 1, select each user, change their usergroup and save them. the only group this is good for is the registered users group, cuz i can delete that custom usergroup and they fall back into the same place.

2: usergroup permissions. these should really be pulled from the "source" settings, especially being a prior vbulletin board. maybe somehow make it work like importing usergroup settings for usergroup id's to fit forumid's? i dunno, thats what u guys do best though.

attachments and avatars and profilepics is somewhat confusing. especially setting the avatars settings. profile pics and avatars should be seperate from eachother and not in the same category.

this is what makes vbulletin different from the rest of the crummy boards out, cuz they categorize everything and make it very easy to work around with. but im seeing that there needs to be some changes in this 350 layout. and these are my ideas for the layout and the impex.

in a nut shell, impex needs some attention. the options need a broader explination of things, more on a 4th grade level instead of a college professor level, and the options need to be clarified and maybe some more options thrown in there. its just not fair to have to go through a huge task of work to upgrade a forum. sucks but thats the consequence when u hack the hell out of a board for such a long time i guess
    Last edited by GoTTi; Wed 26 Oct '05, 2:30pm.
  • Jerry
    • Dec 2002
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by GoTTi
    but its giving me problems with a upgrade with use of the new hacks on vb.org and the updates they have. most of the hacks arent coming with 3.0.x uninstall options int he new 3.5.x series, so the process is converting back to 3.0.x, then either impex'n to a fresh copy or uninstalling every single hack manually. well thats a big task for boards heavily hacked up like mine and im sure tons more.
    Importing is the main option for people with very hacked boards, though ImpEx's primary purpose is to import from 3rd party systems.

i still dont comprehend the meaning of importid's
    Unless you are doing more than one import you don't need to know them and if you are its explained here :

why is there no option to import user permissions for forums?
    Because a customer could instantly assume that ImpEx has set up all the forums and usergroups completely perfectly, which isn't a good idea to convince customers off, so its better idea to not try and map permissions from 72 systems to vBulletin and say that its part of the import process, then at least you know the permissions have been looked at.

why does the forum NEED to be online when doing the import? this, for me, causes concern. its no big deal really, but its like um why? in my situation, i can just create another DB, backup the original, copy all the files in 1 folder to another, boom bam boom and import with anything getting damaged, and if i have a problem just import the db, delete file, bring back folder, lalalalala...so on. but why does the forum need 2 be offline?
    You have just said online and offline in the same paragraph so I'm not sure what you are getting at there, in the FAQ and manual its is recommended that you import from a back up of the source and into a test board.

i have to manually, 1 by 1, select each user, change their usergroup and save them. the only group this is good for is the registered users group, cuz i can delete that custom usergroup and they fall back into the same place.
    If you want to mass move users from one group to another you can run the SQL :

Code:
    UPDATE user SET usergroupid=X WHERE usergroupid=Y

2: usergroup permissions. these should really be pulled from the "source" settings, especially being a prior vbulletin board. maybe somehow make it work like importing usergroup settings for usergroup id's to fit forumid's?
    Can't be done for the reasons I mentioned above, if you can't do 100% of the job and guarantee it, then don't do a 50% job and have the customer believe its a 100% and then wait for the complaints to flood in.

attachments and avatars and profilepics is somewhat confusing. especially setting the avatars settings. profile pics and avatars should be seperate from eachother and not in the same category.
    If you don't want either after running that module you can just delete them.

this is what makes vbulletin different from the rest of the crummy boards out, cuz they categorize everything and make it very easy to work around with. but im seeing that there needs to be some changes in this 350 layout. and these are my ideas for the layout and the impex.
    ImpEx is relatively new to vBulletin and is always being improved.

in a nut shell, impex needs some attention. the options need a broader explination of things, more on a 4th grade level instead of a college professor level, and the options need to be clarified and maybe some more options thrown in there. its just not fair to have to go through a huge task of work to upgrade a forum. sucks but thats the consequence when u hack the hell out of a board for such a long time i guess
    The manual and FAQ get updated as often as I get a decent suggestion or feed back. There are plans for a video walk though, though that has yet to be planned and started on.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• GoTTi
      • Jul 2002

You have just said online and offline in the same paragraph so I'm not sure what you are getting at there, in the FAQ and manual its is recommended that you import from a back up of the source and into a test board.
      in the walkthrough, it says the board should be online during import: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116398 does this mean leave the board on during test imports and close it when ready to import the actual forum?

Because a customer could instantly assume that ImpEx has set up all the forums and usergroups completely perfectly, which isn't a good idea to convince customers off, so its better idea to not try and map permissions from 72 systems to vBulletin and say that its part of the import process, then at least you know the permissions have been looked at.
      well excluding the 72 other forums this thing works with, having the option of importing permissions with vbulletin boards only is my idea.

If you don't want either after running that module you can just delete them.
      how does this resolve my problem?

running the sql to move users is another task that should prolly be automatically in use already in the user options. remember this is a importing issue, so if that command is the resolution to the problem i just gave, then it would be best to implement this command in the impex script as a seperate option to handle the users in custom usergroups after import.

Comment

• Jerry
        • Dec 2002
        • 1.1.x

in the walkthrough, it says the board should be online during import: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116398 does this mean leave the board on during test imports and close it when ready to import the actual forum?
        Which "board" are you talking about, the FAQ and the manual says import from a copy of the source to a test target board, no live board is involved during testing, then for the final import you import from the latest copy of your source into a closed target till the import is complete.

how does this resolve my problem?
        It changes the users usergroup on mass.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...