X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyler_Durden
    • Mar 2002

VB2 --> VB3 Import - Avatar's not loaded

I have probably a 2 part question.

We had troubles using the import script when trying to go from VB2 to VB3. So, we ended up using Impex and still had some issues. As it turned out, Impex would not import the Attachment table because of a " ' " in some of the file names like this "Joe's File". We had maybe 20 attachments like that so we just changed the names of them to something like "Joes File".

After this, we never went back and tried to use the upgrade script, we just stayed with Impex.

Impex seemed to do a decent job, but the Avatars were one noticable omission. Same with forum permissions.

We have a fair number of hacks on our vB2 board, if that matters when choosing upgrade vs. Impex for vB2 --> vB3.

So....my questions are:

1. Should we re-try the upgrade and dump what we have? I am not sure what all the benefits are of the upgrade vs. Impex when going from vB2 to vB3.

2. If we should just stay with the Impex result, how can I get my avatars loaded in from the files they are today in to the MySQL database to be used in vB3?

I have a valid/active license, so if this should be a ticket, just let me know.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Tyler_Durden; Wed 18 Aug '04, 12:45pm.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Why didn't you use the upgrade process?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Tyler_Durden
      • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      Why didn't you use the upgrade process?
      We did, but when we had issues and saw some things on Impex, we went that route and never looked back.

Looking back, I think the issue was the attachment table all along, even when running the upgrade script.

We were afraid the issue was because of having hacks installed and having extra tables in the forum DB (like the store and quiz hacks). So when we saw Impex only worked on the 'core' tables, we thought that was going to work. It did not at first, until we fixed the attachment table as I mentioned above.

At that time we probably should have gone back and tried the upgrade again, but we never thought of it.

I am not opposed to doing that though, since we have not done a ton to the new forum yet. I am just looking for some advice

Thanks.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

The vB 2 impex system is still in beta IIRC. You would be best to run the upgrade path if possible.

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
          Banned
          • Oct 2001
          • 3.0.0 Gamma

How come every time someone posts a problem with this, they are advised to run the upgrade? Isn't the purpose of a beta to find problems and FIX them? This makes me so mad. This comment has been made a lot of times in these threads. And by the way, it's NOT in beta anymore.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Yes, but the vB2 > vB3 import script is more or less designed to import vB2 data into a working and running vB3 forum, not so much to bypass the upgrade script.

Comment

• Tyler_Durden
              • Mar 2002

Will the upgrade path provide me with alot more of my vB2 forum coming over 'clean' ?

I just noticed, for example, the mods for the sections are not right now (perhaps from user ID #s changing?).

If upgrade is 'THE' way to do it, I am ok with trashing what I have if it saves me time and effort later, I just need some educated opinions on that.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

the upgrade path will retain any old data in the database for the most part. But it will be the best solution to keeping your data the same as it is now.

Things during an import will change, userid's forumid's so on and so forth.

The only hack i KNOW that will not allow you to upgrade is the multiple attachment hack.

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2001
                  • 3.0.0 Gamma

It doesn't matter what "they" had in mind when making the script. It matters what the customer wants it for. There was a 10+ page thread with users of very large forums concerned about the upgrade process, because it was taking anywhere from several hours to several days to upgrade, and it was announced at one point that an importer would be created to help alleviate that problem. The benefits of having import scripts are numerous. One, downtime is minimized, as it takes a lot less time to add data to a clean database than it does to edit an existing database structure. This results in less downtime for the forum. Also, it allows you to have two versions of the forum running until you can get the new style and hacks setup like you want them.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Joshua Clinard
                    How come every time someone posts a problem with this, they are advised to run the upgrade?
                    Our goal is to help the customer solve whatever problems they are having the quickest and easiest way they can. And the proper way to move from vB2 to vB3 is through the upgrade process. Therefore it's a legitimate question and suggestion.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Joshua Clinard
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2001
                      • 3.0.0 Gamma

It may be the "proper" way, but it's not the best way for very large forums which want to minimize downtime.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

Well, the import scripts were not really designed to be substitute for upgrading. And the vB2 script was clearly classified as beta until yesterday. Nonetheless, feedback is good to work out the bugs. However I view my primary function as understanding and fixing current issues first and foremost.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Tyler_Durden
                          • Mar 2002

I ran the upgrade this evening and overall I think I'd rate it a better conversion than the Impex import.

Some things in the vB options did not load correctly (because of hacks), but I should be able to yank those out.

I'm not sure I like that all the potentially outdated tables came along for the ride, but I think that is something I can deal with.

My question is about the custom avatars though. In vB2, they were stored as a bunch of files, but I would like to get them loaded in to the avatar table in MySQL now.

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks again for the help

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

In vB2 custom avatars were stored in the database and not as files. If you had them as files, this was from a hack. (Are you sure you are talking about custom avatars and not the avatars you make available in the Admin CP?)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...