X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Downlo
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

ubbthreads to vbulletin 3

Does anyone Know of a work around to get uubthreads 6.x into Vb3 It dosn't look like there will be an importer for this anytime soon and I need to have mine working yesterday. I've had this program for almost two months, thinking I'd have my forum transfered to vb3 and running to no avail not happy
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If the database structure in 6.X is not drastically different than that in 5.46 you can use the importer for vBulletin 2.3.5 and then upgrade to vBulletin 3.0 after that is done.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Downlo
      • Apr 2004
      • 4.2.X

Tried what you suggested before

I tried what you have suggested here a week ago with no luck to many errors happening any one eles have a suggestion.

Comment

• cobraclub
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Downlo
        I've had this program for almost two months, thinking I'd have my forum transfered to vb3 and running to no avail not happy
        I am in the same boat, however waiting for the DCForum importer.

Have software sat there, installed and ready to go, with no way to import the posts from DCF.

The poll seems to make no difference to the order importers are released. Opentopic and wBB are done or being done however have only had 3 and 8 votes respectively. ubb.eve and ubb.classic have 8 and 10.

Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever, and makes a mockery of the poll.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cobraclub
          The poll seems to make no difference to the order importers are released. Opentopic and wBB are done or being done however have only had 3 and 8 votes respectively. ubb.eve and ubb.classic have 8 and 10.

Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever, and makes a mockery of the poll.
          ubb.eve and ubb.classic were the first importers done before there ever was a poll. The Opentopic and wBB importers are being created to replace those that were previously available for 2.X. Once the core set is done, then work will begin on the remainder.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• cobraclub
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            ubb.eve and ubb.classic were the first importers done before there ever was a poll. The Opentopic and wBB importers are being created to replace those that were previously available for 2.X. Once the core set is done, then work will begin on the remainder.
            Wayne

According to the members section, it details the following regarding 2.X importers, which contradicts your statement above.

We currently offer a set of scripts that will allow you to import posts, threads and users from the following programs: Infopop Ultimate Bulletin Board 5, Infopop Ultimate Bulletin Board 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2, Infopop UBBThreads 5.4 (formerly wwwthreads), vBulletin Lite, Infopop OpenTopic/UBB.x, Ikonboard 2, Ikonboard 3, phpBB2, DC Forum, XMB, and ezboard (posts only, not members for ezboard).

I feel that one of the major issues we face as customers is there are no timescales on the importers, so we just have to keep coming back to check and again be disappointed that there has been no movement on the release. I am sure that Jerry is getting more than fed up with the number of emails and PMs requesting dates for release of importers.

I fully realise that the poll will change the order of release, however you need to put a stake in the ground and say this is the order of release and these are the release dates for the specific importers.

We as customers are currently being kept in the dark, and have been given no dates, therefore we expect an importer to be released ASAP. If we were to be given realistic expectations, then I am sure that would help.

This would also ensure that Jerry would be able to get on with working on the importers instead of responding to PMs and emails from customers trying to ascertain release dates for their specific needs.

Best Regards

Robert

PS, Apologies to Downlo for taking this sort of off topic.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Quite honestly, I am surprised that we released the importers when we did. I was expecting at least 3 months after the release of vBulletin 3.0 for there to be new importers.

All the importers being worked on now are in the same set as those released for 2.3.X. I would expect the rest of that set to be worked on before new importers as well. If I had a timescale, then I would give you one. Because of the rush release of the Importer, the single developer working on them is also providing support and fixing bugs in the existing ones as well. This will definitely impact release of future scripts in the package.

The import script isn't something as simple as cross-mapping some fields at this time. There is more to it than that and it takes time, moreso since the import scripts were not ready for a primetime release but were released nevertheless because of customer pressure.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• cobraclub
                • Mar 2004

Wayne

Thanks for your comments which are very valid, however from a new customer perspective, and other potential customers, the importers are being discussed on the forums, and they are out there. This gives an expectation that the various importers are imminent which unfortunately, due to the workload and complexity of the various importers, is not the case.

Maybe, just for clarity there could be some timescales placed against the importers, even if they are 3 months away at least it is something instead of the current ambiguity and uncertainty.

Then, if the release of a specific importer is brought to the community before the proposed release date, VB look even better to prospective customers.

Maybe a secondary option is to provide a list of developers that VB work closely with who can provide a high level of coding to assist customers who are not prepared to wait for the importer or other possible enhancements, who are prepared to pay for a developers time to concentrate on an importer for their specific forum. There is the potential benefit that this information could then be fed back into the VB teams to further accelerate the release of enhancements, importers, or whatever.

Personally speaking, I was under the impression that the importers were well on their way to being released. I would therefore be prepared to pay to get a DCF importer written, so if you do have any free-lance developers that VB work closely with, then maybe we can work something out.

Best Regards

Robert

Comment

• Jerry
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 1.1.x

Personally speaking, I was under the impression that the importers were well on their way to being released.
                  I'm not quite sure why you assumed that, the whole point of the poll its that the importers are being developed in a liner fashion and the numbers would guide the order they are done in.

With the exception oh OT and wBB which I have explained already.

If all the importers were done in one go the whole project would take months to get them all done to release in one go.

As for making a mockery of the poll and keeping you in the dark, I disagree with both points completely.

I think the fact that that the poll exists allowing customers to guide the order of development and that I've explained what is going on and the manner in which it is done it a big improvement and change to the old manner in which the importers were dealt with.

As for dates, once again, I can't give them past 2 or 2 importers down the line in case the poll changes, the only options is to freeze the poll which alienates all new customers.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• cobraclub
                    • Mar 2004

Jerry

I agree that the importer need to be developed in a linear fashion, and the poll is a guide to the level of interest in a specific importer.

What I am trying to say is there needs to be a stake in the ground regarding the poll, otherwise you might be working hard on importer A when importer B & C has overtaken it in terms of the number of votes which could confuse and potentially alienate even more customers.

The comment regarding making a mockery of the poll was made before I was aware of the previous work on the importers, therefore I apologise if I have caused any offence.

I think one of the issues is, and I am sure I am not alone in this, is that we have bought licenses with a view to importing our respective forums and will potentially have to wait for a significant amount of time before an importer is available.

There is no easy resolution to this, however I do feel that communication regarding the importers could have been dealt with in a better fashion.

Best Regards

Robert

Comment

• Jerry
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 1.1.x

I think one of the issues is, and I am sure I am not alone in this, is that we have bought licenses with a view to importing our respective forums and will potentially have to wait for a significant amount of time before an importer is available.

There is no easy resolution to this, however I do feel that communication regarding the importers could have been dealt with in a better fashion.
                      Did you check that the importer was available and released when you made your purchase or believed that because it was on the polls that all of them would be done in a matter of days regardless of where it was in the votes ?

The communication with regard to the importers has been so verbose that is has its own forum and two discussion threads, there are no unanswered support tickets with regard to them and I've answer all but a handful of abusive or rude PM's asking me what is going on.
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• cobraclub
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jerry
                        Did you check that the importer was available and released when you made your purchase or believed that because it was on the polls that all of them would be done in a matter of days regardless of where it was in the votes ?

The communication with regard to the importers has been so verbose that is has its own forum and two discussion threads, there are no unanswered support tickets with regard to them and I've answer all but a handful of abusive or rude PM's asking me what is going on.
                        No, I have to admit that in my excitement, I did not check in detail if the importer was available, however I did know that an importer was available for the CGI version of DCForum in VB2, therefore thought (wrongly) that the SQL version was available as the SQL version has been out for a considerable amount of time.

There was a considerable level of ambiguity when the importers were being discussed, firstly they were going to be imported in house, then released, so it did cause some level of confusion.

Please take this as what it is, constructive criticism. I am not having a dig, far from it, and if my posts have been construed as rude, then that is not how they have been written.

Best Regards

Robert

Comment

• Downlo
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 4.2.X

Anyone eles have any Ideas/suggestions ubbt 6.4 to vb3

Does anyone have any more suggestions. As i'm headed from 2.5 to 3mnth waiting for the importer i'm starting to get a little nervous i'm running out of time. not good

Comment

• Jerry
                            • Dec 2002
                            • 1.1.x

I've seen an unoffical importer on vbulletin.org.
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• void
                              • Dec 2001
                              • 3.6.x

Also eagerly awaiting the import/conversion scripts.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...