Decent (correct!) instructions to add App to a FB page?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpearl5
    • Jul 2001
    • 4.2.X

which is why I just did...

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
    Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by xlguy
      Hi Wayne,

I am trying to add it to a Facebook page, not a profile.

You have provided a link to the Facebook developers help page. But you are not listening to my feedback - the instructions have changed since vBulletin first launched this app. The feedback from Facebook is that the vBulletin app is now missing the necessary parameters to allow it to be added to a page. Rather than being dismissive of any complaint, I would appreciate if you could flag this up to the app developer and ask them to retest adding it to a Facebook page now that Facebook have changed their setup. You have lots of examples of people who previously added the vBulletin app to their Facebook business pages, but now Facebook have changed their process you are saying you won't update the app?
      The vBulletin.com Facebook App was added to the vBulletin page on Facebook without problem using those steps. If the app itself is lacking something, make sure you're running the latest version. If you still have problems and need something added to the App, then you need to open an improvement request in JIRA. Support Techs can't add anything to the App. This is a support forum. I am not being dismissive. I am trying to make sure you're following the correct and accurate steps as you requested.

Our support deals with errors in the app and the basic integration of the App on Facebook as provided in the instructions. Anything else and you need to go through Facebook's Instructions to do it.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• xlguy
        • Jan 2002

Hi Wayne, I think Trevor already handled this.

With all due respect it feels as if you skim read some of these posts. I've already made it clear I'm running the latest version and it's not that the app is "lacking something" - it's to do with the way the app communicates back to Facebook when you add it to a FB page.

As I say, Trevor has identified what I was actually referring to and provided the guidance to flag it as a bug (or 'feature', depending on your viewpoint!)
        xlguy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

They'll just tell you to submit it as request - for some reason they can't (or haven't offered at least) to take note and log this themselves...
          If it isn't an issue we can recreate, we're not going to add it to JIRA. Why you might ask? Because we can't recreate and can't answer questions on it. If we can't answer questions the issue will never get resolved. It is best that the person with the issue create the issue so they can answer questions as necessary to get it resolved. Otherwise you have hundreds of bugs that go unanswered just like in the vBulletin core and people get upset because it is never fixed.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Hi Wayne, I think Trevor already handled this.

With all due respect it feels as if you skim read some of these posts. I've already made it clear I'm running the latest version and it's not that the app is "lacking something" - it's to do with the way the app communicates back to Facebook when you add it to a FB page.

As I say, Trevor has identified what I was actually referring to and provided the guidance to flag it as a bug (or 'feature', depending on your viewpoint!)
            You attacked me personally. I will respond.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• xlguy
              • Jan 2002

No worries, just wanted to make sure you realised it has now been logged. Hopefully someone in the testing team will recreate in due course and encounter the blank page bug (which is after you pick which FB page to add the app too).

Cheers
              xlguy

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Hi Trevor,

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. As others have reported back in March, if you follow the new instructions for adding an app to a Page Tab, i.e. execute this URL:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

You receive a blank page after selecting which Facebook business page you want to add your vB app too. This is due to an issue in the app. If you test this yourself, you will see the blank page error. It's not an improvement, it's reporting something that previously worked fine and then stopped working due to new requirements from Facebook - i.e. the vB app needs updating. Like I say, best to test this yourself with the latest app installed.
                I get the blank screen, but the app is now on the page and works 100%.
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• xlguy
                  • Jan 2002

Thanks for confirming. As mentioned earlier, it seems there is some kind of missing "Success message" in the vB app - Facebook redirects looking for it, but fails and gets a blank page.

Hopefully someone from the coding/development team will work out exactly why
                  xlguy

Comment

• shakes91
                    • Dec 2004
                    • 3.5.x

Well I'm glad (sorta) to see that I'm not the only one pulling my hair out with this issue. My app works perfectly fine now (Thanks to a ton of help from support) when I browse directly to the URL. However, adding it to my fanpage and the only reason why I'd want it in the first place, yields a nice blank page. I was ready to ask for a refund, but maybe I'll hold out and see if you guys can get this patched.

Comment

• xlguy
                      • Jan 2002

Bottom line: vBulletin have developed a Facebook app but won't help you with how to integrate it in to Facebook - makes sense, not
                      xlguy

Comment

• Teletubby
                        • Oct 2008

I also agree that this should be supported and easier and would love to see this turned into a feature request or bug, especially since vbulletin sells the Facebook app this way:

"Community Promotion
                        Link the vBulletin Facebook application to your Facebook fan page to bring valuable new functionality to your Facebook fans"

Thank You,

Brad

Comment

• xlguy
                          • Jan 2002

Glad there's another +1 for this.

The main issue that is vBulletin themselves (and all the other early adaptors) of this product were able to easily install it to their pages. Since then Facebook have changed their setup which has stopped this from working properly. We can only hope that the original developer at vBulletin revisit this and works out a fix for us later customers...
                          xlguy

Comment

• Teletubby
                            • Oct 2008

I reported this as an issue. Please vote for it here:

So we can get a fix asap.

Thanks,

Brad

Comment

• studify
                              • Mar 2012

Hey guys,
                              keep it cool, I've had the same issue - here's my solution due to a change of the Facebook Framework (Wall goes Timeline): https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2286704

All the Best,
                              Alex
                              Last edited by studify; Thu 14 Jun '12, 6:25pm. Reason: updated link

Comment

• Bgobsession
                                • May 2009
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by studify
                                Hey guys,
                                keep it cool, I've had the same issue - here's my solution due to a change of the Facebook Framework (Wall goes Timeline): How do I merge or link my existing Facebook Page and my new Facebook App

All the Best,
                                Alex
                                Alex - neither of the two links you posted are working for me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...