Decent (correct!) instructions to add App to a FB page?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xlguy
    • Jan 2002

Decent (correct!) instructions to add App to a FB page?

I just read through the entire sticky on this and there isn't one set of clear instructions. Most of the instructions are prior to Facebook removing the Profile page for applications.

Does anyone have *up to date* and clear instructions on how you can add your vB Facebook app to a FB page?

FYI: https://www.facebook.com/dialog/page...ext=CANVAS_URL gives the error "This application does not support integration with your profile."

I need instructions that work with the new Facebook setup, now they've stopped providing an "About" (Profile) page for Apps.

Thanks
    xlguy
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Did you look at Facebook's documentation?

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• xlguy
      • Jan 2002

Yes, but the vBulletin app doesn't seem to integrate now. The problem is that no-one at vB has tested it now that Facebook have removed the App profile pages. All the examples listed were set-up prior to this change. I can't understand why there is a vBulletin app but no instructions (up to date) that enable you to actually put it on to a Facebook page. Thanks
      xlguy

Comment

• xlguy
        • Jan 2002

Wayne/VB,

Have you tried the instructions lately from https://developers.facebook.com/docs...book/pagetabs/ ?

It says you should use this line: https://www.facebook.com/dialog/page...&next=YOUR_URL to create a tab on your page. But it doesn't work with the vBulletin app (I'm running latest version and on 3.8.7)
        xlguy

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

You can't integrate with your profile. You can only integrate with a business page. If you look at the vBulletin page and click on the vBulletin.com tile, you will see it loads the app.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Adding your App to a Facebook Page is not a vBulletin Support Issue. I've pointed the person above to the correct documentation on this at the Facebook Site. If it is not working for them, they should discuss this in Facebook's Developer forums.

The updated documentation covering the integration we support is included in the Facebook App download and linked at the top of this forum.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• xlguy
              • Jan 2002

Hi Wayne,

I am trying to add it to a Facebook page, not a profile.

You have provided a link to the Facebook developers help page. But you are not listening to my feedback - the instructions have changed since vBulletin first launched this app. The feedback from Facebook is that the vBulletin app is now missing the necessary parameters to allow it to be added to a page. Rather than being dismissive of any complaint, I would appreciate if you could flag this up to the app developer and ask them to retest adding it to a Facebook page now that Facebook have changed their setup. You have lots of examples of people who previously added the vBulletin app to their Facebook business pages, but now Facebook have changed their process you are saying you won't update the app?
              xlguy

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                vBulletin Support
                • Aug 2002
                • 5.7.X

As Wayne says, adding your App to a Facebook Page is not a vBulletin Support Issue - that is a customisation you make on Facebook to link to your app. We only provide the app and support the app.
                Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• xlguy
                  • Jan 2002

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the reply. Originally when you released the app, it could easily be added to a Facebook business page. You even have a long thread showing people who have done this. Are you saying that support was accidental and not meant to be part of the offering? I can't understand why you will not adjust the app (as Facebook states is necessary since their recent changes) so that it can once again be added to FB pages - it's unfair that this was available when the product was first launched and now you're saying it's our job to fix the vB app so it can be added to tabs?
                  Last edited by xlguy; Thu 26 Apr '12, 4:13am.
                  xlguy

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                    vBulletin Support
                    • Aug 2002
                    • 5.7.X

Are you meaning Steve's thread here? If so, it wasn't an official support thread but it was stickied by us as we appreciated some people may want to do this.

If a change is required to the software for this to work, then please feel free to post an Improvement Request in our Tracker in order for it to be considered.
                    Vote for:

Comment

• xlguy
                      • Jan 2002

Hi Trevor,

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. As others have reported back in March, if you follow the new instructions for adding an app to a Page Tab, i.e. execute this URL:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

You receive a blank page after selecting which Facebook business page you want to add your vB app too. This is due to an issue in the app. If you test this yourself, you will see the blank page error. It's not an improvement, it's reporting something that previously worked fine and then stopped working due to new requirements from Facebook - i.e. the vB app needs updating. Like I say, best to test this yourself with the latest app installed.
                      xlguy

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

As I said, that's not an official thread and the ability was never actually built into the product specifically. If a change is required to the software for this to work, then please feel free to post an Improvement Request in our Tracker in order for it to be considered.
                        Vote for:

Comment

• xlguy
                          • Jan 2002

Hi Trevor, I guess those who purchased the software back then were just lucky that it worked by fluke. I think it will still work, from my own testing it appears there is no "Success Message" built in to the app - i.e. after you follow the new instructions to add the app to a Page Tab, then you get a blank page - but the blank page is back mydomain.com/fb/app page - suggesting FB is redirecting there after the tab is added. I've done quite a lot of testing here and I just hope you'll take this and put it in to the tracker. I don't know how to do it and I feel having raised it here should be enough (I'd also assume you'd test it yourself at some point and notice this). Thanks and hopefully it's something that will be fixed in future revisions.
                          xlguy

Comment

• tpearl5
                            • Jul 2001
                            • 4.2.X

I find it a little absurd that the official vbulletin Facebook page has this functionality, but staff refuses to support it.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
                            Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• xlguy
                              • Jan 2002

They'll just tell you to submit it as request - for some reason they can't (or haven't offered at least) to take note and log this themselves...
                              xlguy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...