Any success stories for the FB application?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10smom
    • May 2007
    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by xertox

Also it seems there is always one glaring omission from every release of every product that is supposed to get fixed in the next iteration.
    Of Course they leave things out. This is so you are forced to pay for the next version upgrade. It will take years of upgrades and tons of money spent by those forced into yet another VB money making scam before this app is worth while. I plan to look for better and cheaper option or have someone create on for me. Anyone know of alternatives? please post links. Thanks

Comment

• joeychgo
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
      The app will be getting more work done on it and will be updated for vB5 also with changes to the way it works. Unfortunately Kyle has been doing a massive amount of essential vB5 work which has prevented him from getting the next update of the App out - plus until last week, he was the only Android Mobile App developer which also took priority (a new Android Developer is now on board). Hopefully he will have time freed up shortly to deal with the next update

You guys need to get off the facebook train. Really you do. Its a train to nowhere.
      Building my Automotive Forum Network...
      Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
        vBulletin Support
        • Aug 2002
        • 5.7.X

Not my, or anyone else in support's call I'm afraid but we have made our feelings on the app known...
        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

My only issue now with the Facebook app is it asks for too many permissions which puts people off.

Once that us fixed I plan to buy it as I now 'get' what it's supposed to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Alfa1
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
            Once that us fixed I plan to buy it as I now 'get' what it's supposed to do.
            Could you please explain what that is, as I do not get it.
            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• digitalpoint
              • Mar 2004
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
              Could you please explain what that is, as I do not get it.
              Ditto... I'm not trolling either. I'll actually be the first to buy it when I can understand what the value is.
              Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
              Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

It's all to do with Facebook and the way it works, enabling people to access and participate in your community while giving the feeling that it's all still part of Facebook.

It's like those games, FarmVille and suchlike, they are not really part of Facebook, they are just apps within it.

I don't think the implementation of the vB app is quite complete but I do now understand the point of it, which I didn't originally.

Implemented and used correctly it can not only help mitigate the gradual member loss to Facebook that many of us experience, but can also attract new members the other way.

It's all about recognising that standard web interfaces are no longer the only way to interact with a forum, for some people they are no longer even the primary way.

MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------

Comment

• digitalpoint
                  • Mar 2004
                  • 4.1.x

Right... I understand what it does. But in real world use, do you use it for this site (or know anyone that does), or know anyone who wants to access your site through Facebook? It's not going to draw new users to use your forum, rather it's going to be something supplemental for existing users. So if your existing users don't need it or want to use it, then it's back to being pointless.

I don't see a bleed of users to Facebook myself (in fact, we see new users coming to our site FROM Facebook)... But even if I did, I really don't see how the app would mitigate the loss of users to Facebook. If a user is leaving your site and going to Facebook instead (which is just weird if you ask me), do you really think they are going to go through the trouble of installing the Facebook App on their Facebook account and then going through the trouble of logging into Facebook, navigating to the app and then using it that way? Remember, you are talking about people who couldn't be bothered to use your site to begin with. The Facebook App actually makes it more difficult (more steps), not easier.
                  Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                  Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• socceronly
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                    Right... I understand what it does. But in real world use, do you use it for this site (or know anyone that does), or know anyone who wants to access your site through Facebook? It's not going to draw new users to use your forum, rather it's going to be something supplemental for existing users. So if your existing users don't need it or want to use it, then it's back to being pointless.

I don't see a bleed of users to Facebook myself (in fact, we see new users coming to our site FROM Facebook)... But even if I did, I really don't see how the app would mitigate the loss of users to Facebook. If a user is leaving your site and going to Facebook instead (which is just weird if you ask me), do you really think they are going to go through the trouble of installing the Facebook App on their Facebook account and then going through the trouble of logging into Facebook, navigating to the app and then using it that way? Remember, you are talking about people who couldn't be bothered to use your site to begin with. The Facebook App actually makes it more difficult (more steps), not easier.

They have to install it?

I thought it installed as app on a page? Is it not just there when people come to your facebook page?
                    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• digitalpoint
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 4.1.x

As a Facebook user you need to install/enable any third party app before you can use it. For example this is the one for vbulletin.com: https://apps.facebook.com/vbulletincom/

Comment

• Alfa1
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Thanks Mark for explaining. At least I know what its value is supposed to be. Even if I still do not see that as a real value.
                        Mind that Farmville and the like do not ask for such intrusive permissions as the vb app does. Its one thing that the app asks for things you made public. Its another to ask for your friends their data and things that you did not make public. That holds back a lot of users from using the app.
                        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Mark.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Feb 2004
                          • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
                          Thanks Mark for explaining. At least I know what its value is supposed to be. Even if I still do not see that as a real value.
                          Mind that Farmville and the like do not ask for such intrusive permissions as the vb app does. Its one thing that the app asks for things you made public. Its another to ask for your friends their data and things that you did not make public. That holds back a lot of users from using the app.
                          Oh I agree on that. The current app asks for far too many permissions. I think that is 'known' and I am hoping it gets changed in a later release. I know it's in Jira somewhere.

It might well be possible to hack that part of the code down but I don't know a massive amount about Facebook coding. One day I will get the app and have a good play.

MARK.B
                          vBulletin Support
                          ------------

Comment

• AlpineZone
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Doc Fluty
                            I have had it for a few months now.

I wish I could have the time of my life back I wasted trying to get it to work.

I dont even care about the wasted funds.

It was setting up the ssl, installing it, figuring out how to get it to work and just get it set up right... heck, i still cant get the permissions set up right..... just so many wasted hours I could have spent sleeping.

No one on the forum uses it... a few hundred clicked on it the first week I was promoting it... but now weeks go by without one view.... even when i check it out every few weeks to make sure its working.. its so slow to load up that even I dont wait for it to show up.

This was just the biggest waste of time (and money) I have spent in any aspect of working on my site.

So.. thats my opinion on it.
                            Same,I spent a bit of time getting it to work and it's pretty much a flop. No one uses it and it doesn't cross promote well or integrate with pages that well.

Comment

• Bgobsession
                              • May 2009
                              • 3.8.x

It's not the purpose I have an issue with - I agree that folks who are die-hard members of my forum are never going to choose to use facebook as a primary or preferred way to post there, or even as a preferred method of reading content. That's why they come to the primary site. But they would love to promote a site they love to their friends and contacts via facebook if it were actually easy to do that. My issue is, the 'like' and 'share' functionality absolutely suck and while this kind of app should provide the purchaser a variety of ways to promote their primary site, that aspect is barely even developed.

Comment

• S1OPP
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Mark.B
                                Oh I agree on that. The current app asks for far too many permissions. I think that is 'known' and I am hoping it gets changed in a later release. I know it's in Jira somewhere.r
                                This is the single biggest issue I have, the permissions page asks for access to information that I have no control over. I am also unable to provide an explanation of what the information is used from and by whom.

Nobody will accept the app. Even people already on my forum that I have known for years, will not accept the app.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...