Any success stories for the FB application?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fawnet
    • May 2011

It is working fine with me..

here is my VB apps on facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/wjhatnet/

It cost me $168 for SLL and Apps.

I wish there some tools available when adding posts through apps, like adding images and style font.

Comment

• Doc Fluty
      • Feb 2011

I have had it for a few months now.

I wish I could have the time of my life back I wasted trying to get it to work.

I dont even care about the wasted funds.

It was setting up the ssl, installing it, figuring out how to get it to work and just get it set up right... heck, i still cant get the permissions set up right..... just so many wasted hours I could have spent sleeping.

No one on the forum uses it... a few hundred clicked on it the first week I was promoting it... but now weeks go by without one view.... even when i check it out every few weeks to make sure its working.. its so slow to load up that even I dont wait for it to show up.

This was just the biggest waste of time (and money) I have spent in any aspect of working on my site.

So.. thats my opinion on it.
      Want to join the military? Visit this military forum.

Comment

• Deverill
        • Jan 2011
        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Doc Fluty
        I have had it for a few months now.

I wish I could have the time of my life back I wasted trying to get it to work.

I dont even care about the wasted funds.

It was setting up the ssl, installing it, figuring out how to get it to work and just get it set up right... heck, i still cant get the permissions set up right..... just so many wasted hours I could have spent sleeping.

No one on the forum uses it... a few hundred clicked on it the first week I was promoting it... but now weeks go by without one view.... even when i check it out every few weeks to make sure its working.. its so slow to load up that even I dont wait for it to show up.

This was just the biggest waste of time (and money) I have spent in any aspect of working on my site.

So.. thats my opinion on it.

I agree.

Comment

• bogley
          • Dec 2009
          • 3.8.x

Wow, I was ready to purchase this tonight, just decided to do some last minute reading and research... doesn't sound like anybody is satisfied with their purchase. Is this really the case? Is there a single person out there who is happy they bought/installed/published the vbulletin facebook app?

Comment

• sivaganesh
            • Oct 2010

Vb needs to hire few social marketing guru and develop more fledged app..
            | College student forum | Men beauty and Health Tips | Dress Forum [IPB] |

[For 6 Months] Unlimited vB Upgrades + $50 AWS CloudFront CDN (billed in my account) + vb.org Mod Installs - PM me. 2 Spots

Comment

• bogley
              • Dec 2009
              • 3.8.x

Nobody is satisfied with the facebook app???

Comment

• xertox
                • May 2011
                • 4.1.x

I'm certainly not impressed. The like/send system is junk and I get the idea that none of the vbulletin people seem to give a ****.

Also it seems there is always one glaring omission from every release of every product that is supposed to get fixed in the next iteration. I'd prefer if they did some beta testing before releasing junk like this...

Comment

• squidstir
                  • Sep 2006

I found it easy to install and the 2 errors I did have I found the answer here in this forum, did the fixes, updated the other/new facebook settings for the APP and all is golden.

Added a tab on the navbar and got the tab to work and now I'm done. http://www.facebook.com/TundraTruckz...13772438664972

That's not to say there aren't things that need tweaked but after being a customer for a few years now I'm confident time fixes all.
                  Last edited by squidstir; Sat 30 Jun '12, 5:45pm.

Comment

• digitalpoint
                    • Mar 2004
                    • 4.1.x

Probably the best thing to do is try out the Facebook App for this site as a user. Do you find it compelling enough to continue using it, or do you find yourself going back to the normal version of the website?

Originally posted by Doc Fluty
                    To *me*, it doesn't seem to solve a problem that anyone has (as end-users or site owners)... So ultimately it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I'd be curious if anyone at vBSI even uses it, and if so... what do you really like about it?
                    Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                    Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• tpearl5
                      • Jul 2001
                      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by digitalpoint
                      To *me*, it doesn't seem to solve a problem that anyone has (as end-users or site owners)... So ultimately it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
                      I didn't think about it that way, and I probably should have before I purchased it.

The only advantage I can see to the app is to attract new users within Facebook because they see their friends using it, but the problem with that is, it is seriously lacking on the sharing/like/page integration parts of the system. Furthermore, it asks for way too much information by default, preventing half (in my case) of users from even accepting the app from the authorization dialog.

The lack of development lately just tells us that IB wanted to put something out there for FB, and make sure it "works", and see what happens. To quote Lewis Black, "If the monkeys don't sh!@ themselves, we have a hit". I think the monkeys pooped all over the place, and they're acting like it doesn't stink.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
                      Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                        vBulletin Support
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 5.7.X

The app will be getting more work done on it and will be updated for vB5 also with changes to the way it works. Unfortunately Kyle has been doing a massive amount of essential vB5 work which has prevented him from getting the next update of the App out - plus until last week, he was the only Android Mobile App developer which also took priority (a new Android Developer is now on board). Hopefully he will have time freed up shortly to deal with the next update
                        Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                        - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• tpearl5
                          • Jul 2001
                          • 4.2.X

I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not putting down Kyle - he's done an excellent job getting it off the ground. I don't believe IB is making right decisions regarding products though.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
                          Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• Alfa1
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by digitalpoint

I'd be curious if anyone at vBSI even uses it, and if so... what do you really like about it?
                            I was just wondering about the same, before I hit on this thread. I really do not understand the purpose of the facebook app in its current form.
                            The main thing that I would like to do with a facebook app is make my site go viral, in the sense that such an app would drive facebook traffic to my site.
                            But in its current shape, it seems to do the exact opposite: drive my sites traffic to facebook.

The only reason that I can see for adding this facebook app to my site, is that I can claim that I offer a facebook app and be trendy with it. But that is something a project manager would find useful. In the real world it has little value IMHO.

I see two very positive sides of the facebook app: it has great potential and it looks bloody good.
                            I hope that IB realizes that if the right functionality (designed to generate traffic to vbulletin sites) is added, that this app will sell like hot cakes. From a commercial point of view I am certain that IB is loosing money by not providing the functionality that there is demand for.
                            If this facebook app would advertise my site to the friends of my users and would bring fb users to my site, then that would be very appealing.

IF there is anything useful about the app that I am missing, then please let me know.
                            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• ComputerModding
                              • Sep 2007

Save your money, I have only had 3 members out of 28,000 use the Facebook app and that is because nobody can log in to the bloody thing.

It took me an hour of messing about before I could log in to it myself, in the end I deleted it.

Comment

• Bgobsession
                                • May 2009
                                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                                The app will be getting more work done on it and will be updated for vB5 also with changes to the way it works. Unfortunately Kyle has been doing a massive amount of essential vB5 work which has prevented him from getting the next update of the App out - plus until last week, he was the only Android Mobile App developer which also took priority (a new Android Developer is now on board). Hopefully he will have time freed up shortly to deal with the next update
                                That sounds fine - but the general impression (which you can hear loud and clear throughout this subforum) is that there is great disatisfaction from those of us who purchased this app, many improvement needs, and the general response when these are pointed out here is *irritation* from staff (not you Trevor, I have found you to be helpful and a class act). We are months and months into the rollout of this app, it's clearly unsatisfactory, and the message to those who invested in it is pretty tepid. My sense is that vbulletin has zero interest in focusing significant resources on the Facebook App and that those of us who bought into it are just out of luck. Buyer beware.

Originally posted by Alfa1
                                I was just wondering about the same, before I hit on this thread. I really do not understand the purpose of the facebook app in its current form.
                                The main thing that I would like to do with a facebook app is make my site go viral, in the sense that such an app would drive facebook traffic to my site.
                                But in its current shape, it seems to do the exact opposite: drive my sites traffic to facebook.

The only reason that I can see for adding this facebook app to my site, is that I can claim that I offer a facebook app and be trendy with it. But that is something a project manager would find useful. In the real world it has little value IMHO.

I see two very positive sides of the facebook app: it has great potential and it looks bloody good.
                                I hope that IB realizes that if the right functionality (designed to generate traffic to vbulletin sites) is added, that this app will sell like hot cakes. From a commercial point of view I am certain that IB is loosing money by not providing the functionality that there is demand for.
                                If this facebook app would advertise my site to the friends of my users and would bring fb users to my site, then that would be very appealing.

IF there is anything useful about the app that I am missing, then please let me know.
                                Yep. The biggest issue with the app is the inability to drive Facebook traffic to it. How that aspect of the app was ignore is really mystifying to me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...