HTTPS REQUIRED ? Now you tell me after I've purchased ? - that sucks!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveLV702
    • Aug 2009

maybe vbulletin should offer Facebook app hosting like https://apps.vbulletin.com/licensenumber/
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

Comment

• tpearl5
      • Jul 2001
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by sailnet
      I just started reading the documentation after purchasing the Facebook App for multiple sites and the second item I see which it appears you guys conveniently gloss over or even fail to mention in any of your promotion emails is that anyone running a forum must add HTTPS and this requires the purchase of an SSL certificate which basically doubles or triples the cost of your facebook application to the user not to mention the time required to add mod-ssl to apache, modify apache config files, test and so on... what a crock of cow dung!

needless to say I am not happy with your convenient oversight of this fact. I assume you guys include the cost of the SSL certificate in the cost of the app - where do I get my free certificate vbulletin people?
      Calm down, geeze. Where are you buying your SSL certs from? I got one for 5 years for $30 from godaddy. Here's some coupons: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/godaddy.com

I thought it was well known that FB was switching everything to SSL anyway. Besides, why would you purchase software without knowing the requirements first?

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
      Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• HMBeaty
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tpearl5
        Besides, why would you purchase software without knowing the requirements first?
        Same reason people sign contracts (or the equivalent) without reading them first
        "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time!"
        "It's important to only think about what you desire, not what you fear to achieve your ultimate goal!!"
        "When doors close, tear down the walls. Never give up!"

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Paul M
          Perhaps you should take that up with Facebook.

Btw, giant text really doesnt help
          REALLY?

What about really small text? Kidding lol

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
          Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• esquiree
            • Nov 2011
            • 4.1.x

Originally posted by sailnet
            how do we go about getting a refund - we'd like our money back.

I am agree with you. I requested refund today but answer is negative. I read shared SSL can work. But i found out it doesnt. My host company want 50 dollars per a year. And also they said if i want to use my own SSL they will charge 10 dollars for installiton. This is stupid. After paying 99 dollars i have to spend extra money yearly for this application!!! They dont want to refund plus they give you hassle to sell it too. Vbulletin your customer satisfaction sucks!

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by esquiree
              I am agree with you. I requested refund today but answer is negative. I read shared SSL can work. But i found out it doesnt. My host company want 50 dollars per a year. And also they said if i want to use my own SSL they will charge 10 dollars for installiton. This is stupid. After paying 99 dollars i have to spend extra money yearly for this application!!! They dont want to refund plus they give you hassle to sell it too. Vbulletin your customer satisfaction sucks!
              The fact your host are clearly a bunch of rip-off merchants is not the fault of vBulletin customer service. I suggest you start looking for a new one.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• esquiree
                • Nov 2011
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Paul M
                The fact your host are clearly a bunch of rip-off merchants is not the fault of vBulletin customer service. I suggest you start looking for a new one.

Well I still dont get why you cant get your application back and refund? After paying 99 dolars for this application now i have to pay 50 dolars per a year for SSL plus to have SSL i have ti have private Ip which is 2 dollars/month. I dont think only my host company has rip off merchants maybe you can check yourself too. At least my host company redy to refund me anytime

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

You can buy an SSL certificate here: http://www.cheapssls.com/?from=cheapssl

They cost as low as $8.95 per year.

Your hosting provider uses cPanel which provides all the tools you need to install an SSL certificate yourself for free. It literally takes seconds to do. When you purchase from the link above, they even give you instructions on how to do it.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SteveLV702
                    • Aug 2009

Need a new host sounds like my host gives you free SSL and installs them for free I got a SSL for every one of my site and didn't pay a dime... Just needed a dedicated ip which I already had which is only like $2/mo for.
                    Steve

Comment

• TECK
                      • Dec 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      As of November 1st 2011, all apps require HTTPS. Older apps from people with considerable pull may have grandfathered extensions though. That is an issue you would have to take up with Facebook.
                      Wayne is right, you need SSL or your Facebook apps will not work. This is not a vBulletin requirement, but rather a Facebook one.
                      Floren Munteanu
                      Axivo Inc.
                      Axivo Searchlight - Turbocharge your web site

Comment

• tpearl5
                        • Jul 2001
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by HMBeaty
                        Same reason people sign contracts (or the equivalent) without reading them first
                        Yeah kinda. It's more like buying a truck, didn't realize it runs on diesel, then going back to the dealer and complaining because diesel costs more, demanding they pay for the fuel or refund the cost of the truck completely. The dealer will say "um, clearly this is a diesel truck, it sounds like a diesel truck, it even says so on the window sticker". Should the dealer refund the truck? Sure, but you're still incompetent, not the dealer.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
                        Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites

Comment

• oddmud
                          • Oct 2009

Secure browsing is not supported

This application does not yet support secure browsing (HTTPS). Learn More

Facebook's reply when I tried your link.
                          Jason Craig – Partner
                          Wet Coast Sports LTD
                          Fishing Reviews TV – BC Fishing Reports – Fly Fish BC – Fly Tying Bug

Comment

• esquiree
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 4.1.x

Your hosting provider uses cPanel which provides all the tools you need to install an SSL certificate yourself for free. It literally takes seconds to do. When you purchase from the link above, they even give you instructions on how to do it.

Not every host company give u access to root. So mine charged 10 dollars for it. plus i need to pay 24 dollars per yearly for ip to use ssl. If you want to use this app u need to spend extra nearly 50 dollars every year. Well is it worth definately not. Facebook will use its own ads. And you will give platform to use it. Well this app is costly, buggy, useless.I know vbulleting dont refund. I would like to return it as half price refund or want to sell it(vbulletins bad customers service doesnt let this even)..

Comment

• Alfa1
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Is a free snakeoil certificate not possible for facebook?
                              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• SteveLV702
                                • Aug 2009

Not every host company give u access to root. So mine charged 10 dollars for it. plus i need to pay 24 dollars per yearly for ip to use ssl. If you want to use this app u need to spend extra nearly 50 dollars every year. Well is it worth definately not. Facebook will use its own ads. And you will give platform to use it. Well this app is costly, buggy, useless.I know vbulleting dont refund. I would like to return it as half price refund or want to sell it(vbulletins bad customers service doesnt let this even)..

Weird I never needed root to generate my ssl signing request or to install it

Got my first two dedicated ups free then additional was only like $1.50 so like $12-$15 year and SSL for free

You can get ssl as low as like $10 year even cheaper if prepay for 3-5 years..

To me sounds like your host like to over charge (highway robbery)
                                Steve

Comment