X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tpearl5
    • Jul 2001
    • 4.2.X

Auth dialog acceptance rate low

I'm pretty disappointed in the low acceptance rate of the auth dialog.
    To one of my apps I've had 1,173 impressions to the auth dialog - 335 have installed it - that's a 29% conversion. YUCK

but when you think about it, it makes sense as to why the conversion rate is low. Before the user even knows what the app is they are asked to provide access to 6 things:
    1. basic information - Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've made public - I think most people are okay with this
    2. Access my profile information - Likes, Music, TV, Movies, Books, Quotes, Activities, Interests and Groups - I understand why this is needed to recommend threads and other forums, but most people won't
    3. Access my contact information - Online Presence - I don't understand why this is needed, maybe someone can explain?
    4. Access information people share with me - Likes, Music, TV, Movies, Books, Quotes, Interests and Online Presence - Again, no idea why this is needed if the above information is provided, isn't the above enough?
    5. Send me email - If it was explained why this was needed more people may accept it
    6. Post to Facebook as me - may post status messages, notes, photos, and videos on my behalf - I don't think people like this either, but since there is a checkbox to allow posting to a user's wall, is this setting needed? From the user's perspective it seems like they're allowing the app to just post whatever to their wall whenever it wants
    So, I think a re-evaluation of what permissions absolutely need to be used should be done.

It's been said before too - it should be an option to recommend other forums and threads to users (thus making it an option to have to provide some of the above data). Users and customers alike still don't have a privacy policy on what IB is doing with that data.
    Last edited by tpearl5; Thu 1 Dec '11, 6:16am.

Capture more registrations - Advanced Guest Posting & Registration
    Cell Phone Forums | Nikonites
  • tpearl5
    • Jul 2001
    • 4.2.X

In the past couple days I've been gettting a lot of impressions. My click through rate has dropped to 24%. bigger yuck

Comment

• tpearl5
      • Jul 2001
      • 4.2.X

Now at 19%

Comment

• tpearl5
        • Jul 2001
        • 4.2.X

what kind of numbers is everyone else seeing?

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
          • Apr 2000
          • 4.1.x

Is there any way to cut right down on the information requested - even facebook themselves say people are more likely to install an app if the information requested is minimal.

It's asking for
          * Your basic info - Fine
          * Your email address - Fine
          * Your profile info: activities, groups, interests and likes - Don't need this !!
          * Friends interests - Why does it need this?!
          * Friends likes - Why does it need this?

The last two cause a BIG BIG problem, even I'm baulking at authorizing that - for my own app! . If there just just a way to get rid of this, then so much the better.

It then goes on to ask for

* Access your contact information - Fine
          * Access your friends contact information - ABSOLUTELY NOT FINE!
          * Post on your behalf - Why does it need this?

All I want is for people to be able to post on my forum through facebook, it should not need all this.

But the big issue is that you have to authorize at all, can you not view as guest? After all with the standard web access you can view threads without having to register first, otherwise how would you know if you wanted to register?
          Motorsport Forums

Comment

• xertox
            • May 2011
            • 4.1.x

Have you tried out the new Auth Dialog? It allows you to add a logo, a headline and a description.

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
              • Apr 2000
              • 4.1.x

That doesn't help with it asking for too much info in the first place.
              Motorsport Forums

Comment

• xertox
                • May 2011
                • 4.1.x

True but it softens the blow and allows you to place a link to your privacy policy.

Comment

• Mark Hewitt
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 4.1.x

But the majority of those permissions are not needed and I don't want to ask my users for them in the first place.

This aspect basically makes the app completely useless.
                  Motorsport Forums

Comment

• tpearl5
                    • Jul 2001
                    • 4.2.X

agreed. The acceptance rate on "basic" info is much much higher.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...