Remove forum Friends and modify the orders of the boxes and tabs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rolfw
    • Apr 2004

Was wondering about who's forums or which of my friends used them, have now removed. Thanks.

Comment

• LEARNER29
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Hansi
      Well you only have to change one byte in one file to remove it.
      I say, someone add a suggestion in the tracker to have it configurable instead. And the rest of us vote on that suggestion. Maybe I will do just that, but not today.
      this is an informal change to the files, and vbulletin could refuse to provide support to you if you have a modified script.

vbulletin strongly counter-recommends doing that change as they have not tested what heavock it might cause. wink.

Hansi, do you have the slightest doubt if vbulletin had use a poll, a vast majority would not accept vbulletin advertising for free on our apps?

Comment

• Hansi
        • May 2003

Originally posted by LEARNER29
        this is an informal change to the files, and vbulletin could refuse to provide support to you if you have a modified script.

vbulletin strongly counter-recommends doing that change as they have not tested what heavock it might cause. wink.

Hansi, do you have the slightest doubt if vbulletin had use a poll, a vast majority would not accept vbulletin advertising for free on our apps?
        No doubt at all, I have only seen negative comments regarding the "friends forum" thing.
        I hope it will be officially removed/removable. Until then, if I need support I can restore the original file.

However, if support is on the level that I recently experienced, I can live without it as it is only a waste of time to get speculative answers starting with blaming my own installation (was fine) then blaming facebook (no facebook did not cause the problem) and suggesting I ask facebook for support...
        When my webdesigner came in to the office he showed me a browser function, that instantly pinpointed where the problem was...yes, it was in the vbulletin facebook app code=more patching needed.

Well, it IS a new product, and I am sure both the application and the support for it will get better in time.

Comment

• Hansi
          • May 2003

I have opened a request in the tracker.
          Please vote if you want an option to remove "Friends Forums"

Comment

• LEARNER29
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.6.x

No doubt at all, I have only seen negative comments regarding the "friends forum" thing.

Who is the idiot who wants to show FREEEE 5 icons to five other forums at the bottom of his app?
            I would charge big money for such advertisements on my app…. This is a blatant robbery of your audience to get them to use other vb products.

If vb cared about our opinion, it would have organized a poll to see if a majority of users want that free vb add inserted into the FB app, UPFRONT, before hand.

Stakeholder management is not putting those with an interest in your product or serivce before a fait-accompli but discussing with them beforehand to see what their concerns are and how to handle 'em.

The fact that vb did not means one thing: they knew no one would want that, but they imposed silently their ads and provided no way to get rid of ‘em. How honest!

I hope it will be officially removed/removable. Until then, if I need support I can restore the original file.

I wonder if they won’t try to encrypt that part of the code to be sure we can’t get rid of it.

However, if support is on the level that I recently experienced, I can live without it as it is only a waste of time to get speculative answers starting with blaming my own installation (was fine) then blaming facebook (no facebook did not cause the problem) and suggesting I ask facebook for support...

That is the best part of it: vb sells you an expensive software, then tells you to go to the free facebook to get support for what you could prove is a problem with their script.
            How fair is that?
            When my webdesigner came in to the office he showed me a browser function, that instantly pinpointed where the problem was...yes, it was in the vbulletin facebook app code=more patching needed.

And he is not part of the vb support or dev teams…..
            Well, it IS a new product, and I am sure both the application and the support for it will get better in time.

I think you are too optimistic. Look at vb’s history, especially the past 2 years. Do you see vb improving the quality of its software and support for it? No. I see the company putting most of its energy towards developing new software…

When I first bought my vb licence, there was the vb forums and in option, you could buy phone support for it.

Today the products I can remember out of the cuff are :
            Vb forums
            Vb CMS (blogs + albums + forums)
            Vb fb app
            Vb mobile app
            Vb android app
            ……

I am not as optimistic as you are.

Comment

• Hansi
              • May 2003

I have opened a request in the tracker.
              Please vote if you want an option to remove "Friends Forums"

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBF-512
              Look like the issue was already raised for the 1.01 version of the app, so vote here again/instad because VBF-512 got closed.

Comment