Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anthonyparsons
    • Mar 2005

Facebook Integration & Common Issues

The integrated FaceBook features from 4.0.4 have caused some issues, so the below is a quick step-by-step to get it working.

Note: The example account has been immediately deleted to ensure misuse cannot occur, without losing instruction integrity.

Setup Facebook
    1. Go-to: http://www.facebook.com/developers
    2. Click on + Set Up New Application
    3. Set Application Name, agree and Create Application
    4. Left menu click "Connect"
    5. Enter your site URL in the "Connect URL" field. Example here is: http://www.nocostinstall.com/ (Take notice off trailing slash)
    6. Enter "Account Reclamation URL" and adding register.php?do=fbdisconnect to it. Example: http://www.nocostinstall.com/registe...o=fbdisconnect
    7. Save Changes

Now open your vBulletin Admin Control Panel (ACP)

Go to > Settings > Options > FaceBook Options

Enter the "Facebook Application ID" and "Facebook Secret" into their appropriate fields within your ACP. You get them from:

Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook.png
Views:	3
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	3718064

Your ACP Facebook settings should then resemble the above identifiers, as below:

Name:	facebook1.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	3718065

Adjust what you want activated and save. It really is that easy.

Troubleshooting

Customised Templates

If you have upgraded you must ensure that any edits you have made to the following three templates have been correctly integrated during the upgrade stages. You may have to copy them, revert them to default, then re-enter your modifications to the latest code.
    • header template
    • footer template
    • headinclude template

A sound strategy is to create a default template to test that your template is not the issue, being:

ACP > Styles & Templates > Style Manager > Add New Style
    • Parent Style - No Parent Style
    • Title - Give Name
    • User Selection - Doesn't matter if admin account
    • Display order -
    • Save

Go to the front-end and you should see the Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook_login.gif
Views:	4
Size:	1,016 Bytes
ID:	3718066 image in the header and the Like button above threads.

Ability To Post Feature

As I learned from Lynne myself, you must be connected using the above button before you can use the post to Facebook functions. The like button will work because your browser has your Facebook login recorded, hence why you can Like, but not post, when not connected.

To connect, press the connect button located in the header and follow the prompts.

Once you are connected, your Facebook avatar should show in the header now, as per the below example, and you will see the "Publish to Facebook" beside posting areas you have activated, (new threads, posts, blogs, blog comments, articles, article comments).

Name:	facebook2.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	3718067

If you don't see this, then you have an issue elsewhere, ie. incorrect details filled in within your ACP Facebook settings. If you have used this on 4.0.3 and all settings are correct, then try the following:

Go to > usercp.php Settings page > Edit Connections > Ensure it isn't saying your connected, but showing in the header as not connected. I found this myself with my account here on vbulletin.com. Javascript and such just do silly things at times, accept it.

You may have to dump your browsers cache, as an existing cache template may be interfering. This can also occur via active logins your browser stores.

Third Party Modifications & Plugins

If you haven't tried the above in conjunction with disabling every and any third party product and plugin, so you are testing within a completely default environment, then you need too. Mods, hacks, whatever you want to call them, they can and do cause conflicts, issues, and so forth with default features, especially new one's that whilst they may have worked in previous versions, don't work now.

If you find suddenly that your Facebook integration now works, which it should in a default environment with all settings correct, then slowly enable one by one third party apps until you find the one causing conflicts, then you need to discuss with that developer the issue, not here at vbulletin.com.

Conclusion

Double check, triple check, re-copy and paste application id and secret, because you may miss it with the eye when Facebook have changed the secret, which has happened on people here who have used the existing connect feature.
    Last edited by anthonyparsons; Sun 20 Jun '10, 11:57pm.