X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peegoo
    • Jun 2018
    • 4.2.x

Allow Forum Members to Ignore Whole Threads from a Member

With vBulletin 4.2.5 I want to setup a member "Fred" to post RSS feed threads. I have tried this previously...and some members complained that they do not want to see RSS threads...so I'm trying to figure out a way to allow forum members that do not wish to see the RSS threads to not see them.

What ways are available to me to allow members to choose not to see certain threads?

I think that "Fred's" posts can be "ignored" (via the ignore list in the UserCP). But with this setting...if "Fred" posts an RSS feed thread...if forum members put "Fred" on ignore...will only Fred's posts be ignored...or the whole thread that Fred posts be ignored (including reply posts from other members).

If this is not the best way to do this...how can I set things up so that any thread Fred posts can be ignored by members who do not wish to see/read Fred's threads...and Fred's threads not show up in the "New Posts" list?

Thank You.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

As far as the system is concerned there is no difference between a thread and one created by the RSS Feed Manager. Users can ignore the user that posts the RSS feeds and they will see a notice instead of the thread. There is no other way to do this without custom coding.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
      • Jun 2018
      • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      As far as the system is concerned there is no difference between a thread and one created by the RSS Feed Manager.
      I understand that...I only added the RSS info for descriptive purposes so anyone answering would understand better what I was trying to do.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Users can ignore the user that posts the RSS feeds and they will see a notice instead of the thread. There is no other way to do this without custom coding.
      Let me rephrase the question please:

If forum Member A (is on "ignore" by forum Members B, C, and D). If "ignored" Member A posts a new thread & Members E, F, and G have also replied to that thread...will the whole thread be invisible to Members B, C, and D...or just Member A's posts?

Thanks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Just Member A's posts. They aren't really invisible in vBulletin 4. They are behind a notice that says something like "You have ignored this member, click here to see what they said." (paraphrasing)

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
          • Jun 2018
          • 4.2.x

Ok...I see. Thanks very much Wayne Luke.

Comment

• peegoo
            • Jun 2018
            • 4.2.x

One more thought/question please.

As mentioned...I would like to start some daily RSS feed threads...and I know some of my forum members will complain about them...since they feel that the new RSS threads & posts (to them) clog up the "New Posts" list (when they click on the "New Posts" button each time they visit).

If putting the member I designate as the RSS thread posting member on "Ignore" won't make these RSS threads non-viewable to forum members that wish not to see them...is there some other way to accomplish what I want to do...and still allow members that wish not to see them (the RSS threads)...not to see them?

- Can I create a specific RSS Thread only sub-forum that registered members can select not to see these threads or RSS sub-forum (maybe from the userCP/profile area or other area)?

I realize that I could:

*create a new RSS Thread subforum
            * then create a new usergroup for the RSS Thread subforum
            * give all members access to the RSS Thread sub-forum
            * then have individual members PM me to have their access to the RSS thread subforum removed.

This seems a bit extreme...and could be a lot of work on my part if I have lots of members making this request.

Is there any other way (via member controllable settings, adminCP settings, or otherwise)...to allow members to (view or not view) these RSS Threads?

Thank you

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

In vBulletin 4, you can create a "Publicly Joinable Usergroup" and make it so only members of that group see the forum that contains the RSS Feeds with Forum Permissions.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
                • Jun 2018
                • 4.2.x

Thanks again for the help Wayne Luke. I'll give it a try.

Comment

• peegoo
                  • Jun 2018
                  • 4.2.x

Hello Wayne Luke. Wanted to let you know that I gave setting up a "Publicly Joinable Usergroup" a try today...and so far I think all looks well. Will see if the forum membership finds any glitches in my setup...and then make tweaks as necessary (hopefully won't need to make any). Since it was my first time doing things...took me 2-3 hours to get it all right. I'm sure next time it will go much faster now that I know what I'm doing. Lol

Thanks once more for all the help!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...