X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lchy885
    • Jan 2019

[Forum] Images & Avatars

Hi all

Is it possible to load avatars from url directly, without storing the images?
    It seems to me that vB will always store avatar-images, even only an url is used + the user is not allowed to upload attachment.

Also, what about images in threads/posts & signatures?
    Will vB store these images as well? (assume that images are posted via url, and all users are NOT allowed to upload any attachment.)

Thanks
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

You can disable the upload of custom avatars with the usergroup permissions "Can Upload Custom Avatars." If you set this to No, they won't be able to upload them anymore. Using vBulletin 4, you can provide a gallary of Avatars they can choose from. In the AdminCP go to Avatars -> Add New Avatar or Upload Avatars to add them. Go to Avatars -> Avatar Manager to manage the images after adding them.

Images inserted into posts are not uploaded to your server. The only benefit is that you can save a bit of storage space. If the image is deleted from its source, your content can appear broken.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• lchy885
      • Jan 2019

Thanks,

but it seems to me that avatars are not being handled as the same way like "Images inserted into posts", avatars have to be uploaded before use.
      turning off "Can Upload Custom Avatars" = members are not allowed to custom avatars (cant use URL for images anymore)

And what about signature images? I have turned off "Can Upload Images for Signature"
      [img]URL[/img] doesn't work, it shows up as a normal URL link.

It gives error whenever i use [sigpic]URL[/sigpic]
      Errors
      The following errors occurred with your submission
      There is no current signature picture to use.

I simply want to make signature & avatar images work just like "Images inserted into posts".

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

They don't. The system is designed to store them locally. To change this, you would need custom coding added to your system.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...