Transfer site / new domain - Now pull the plug and update DATA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gatewaycobraclub
    • Dec 2015

Transfer site / new domain - Now pull the plug and update DATA?

We have moved a vB 4.2.5 site from one site to a new host and a new site. The new site is now ready to go public. One last little thing.

I can shut down the old site, putting it in the Maintenance mode. How do I then grab the last couple weeks of data and move it to the new site? I tried a database backup and restore to the new site but that just breaks everything on the new domain settings.

Is there a simple way to do this? Prefer not to lose the lastt couple weeks of posts as we worked on this

Thanks

Paul
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Transferring the database should do this. What are the specific errors that you're seeing after doing this?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• gatewaycobraclub
      • Dec 2015

The move involved bringing the site from "talk.cobraregistry.com" to "talkcobra.com". Had to change all the site settings to reflect the new address. There are some 'redirects' that happen when you logon.

When you move the database, it carries the various settings with it and all of a sudden the redirects are throwing you back to the old site address. Forces you to go in and do all the editing all over again. I was hoping just grabbing the database would be a simpler thing, that the move could be a 15 minute thing rather than a number of hours of editting to get the new domain active again.

Murphy's law says if the sites going to be down for a couple hours for the move, you better plan on a full days worth of work

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

vBulletin stores everything in the database. Even its settings. When you import a database over the existing, you should be dropping all previous content and overwriting it with the new. Otherwise, you'll get errors and corrupted data. So any changes you made between imports will be lost.

When moving servers, the best course of action is to turn off the vBulletin on the old server and use the space provided to inform your users of what is changing. Then when you go live on the new server, redirect your users to that location. With your vBulletin Off, the users cannot create new content.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...