• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peegoo
    • Jun 2018
    • 4.2.x

vBulletin 4.2.5 RSS Feed

Hello all.

I'm trying to get the vBulletin 4 RSS feeds to operate. I've created some feeds...and when I "Preview" the feed I can see RSS feed articles. But when I go to the sub-forum of the site where the RSS feeds are supposed to be located...nothing is showing up.

- The Feed is active (enabled).
    - A specified sub-forum has been identified for the RSS feed to show up/post in.
    - A forum member username is identified as the poster of the RSS feed.

As I mentioned...RSS feed is not showing up. Any ideas if there's a setting in the RSS Feed Manager I may have missed? Or a setting somewhere else in the Admin CP that I may have missed?

Thanks much.
  • In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Does the "member" have permission to post in that specific sub-forum? Does the "member" have permission to post links in that specific sub-forum?

Comment

• peegoo
      • Jun 2018
      • 4.2.x

Hello Omnibus...thanks for the reply.

Yes...the member does have permission to post in the specific sub-forum. Just as a test...I changed the member to my userid (since I can post anywhere)...and that didn't help either.

Thanks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

This may seem like a rhetorical question but has the Scheduled Task for importing RSS feeds been run? Preview doesn't store information in the database.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
          • Jun 2018
          • 4.2.x

Ok...a bit of an update...and some good news.

wayne Luke. I did run the "Scheduled Task" & then previewed the RSS feed before seeking help here. But...the one thing I didn't do was actually click on one of the articles in the RSS preview feed.

A small bit of background. My site did have some RSS feeds at one time...and then I think they got turned off. So I did have some previous RSS feeds that were already setup prior to this current project...and I was using these as a model to create some new/additional RSS feeds.

Today when I did the "Run Scheduled Task" again...and got the RSS preview feed from these previously setup RSS feeds...I then decided to click on one of the articles to check them out. Well...what did I discover??...the articles in this pre-setup RSS feed were from 2013! Lol

My guess is...the website that was providing the RSS feed back in 2013...is no longer providing an RSS feed in 2019 (or the address of the feed has changed). So when I was expecting to see new RSS feed articles posted on my website...there were no new articles to post.

I did track down some sites that provide an RSS feed in 2019...created some new RSS feeds for my website...and BAMM...they're working.

Thanks for the help...and hopefully this info can help someone else.

Comment

• peegoo
            • Jun 2018
            • 4.2.x

Another question. It's my understanding that many RSS Feeds have an "RSS Preview". Is there code I can add to the RSS Feed Body Template to get the RSS Preview?

Right now the code I have in the Body Template for each RSS feed is pretty minimal...if I could add some code to get the RSS Preview for each article...that would be great.

Thanks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

The inline help for the RSS Feed Manager should describe the different tags you can use for the content template.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• peegoo
                • Jun 2018
                • 4.2.x

When you say the "inline help"...do you mean clicking on the little "?" (question mark) icons?

Thanks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

Yes. Those icons load the help screens.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...