Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gnrx
    • Feb 2009

[Forum] Any way to "clean" users?

Over the years, many users have been created in my forum (about 120,000).
    I am not sending mass mail to all, but yes, 2, 3 or 4 times a year (some important change, Christmas greeting ...).
    It has already happened to me that, when sending (and the option to send only to users who have activated the option to receive emails from the administrator), many, many emails are returned because the recipient email no longer exists (and I have a configured account) bouncemail). The server, on occasion, has thought it is spam (many notifications from Microsoft) and have been about to suspend my account. When I have explained that it is a mail of feclitaciĆ³n, that it has a link of unsubscription, and that they can see the content that is not spam, then they have seen that it is correct.
    But I want to avoid this.
    Therefore, hence my question:
    I do not have the -f option enabled in admincp-mail, would it be a good idea to activate it?
    And on the other hand, there would be some way that, the accounts returned as non-existent accounts, could eliminate those users, or failing that, move them to a specific group of users of incorrect mails and in that way, to the next mail, exclude that group?
    I hope I have explained.
    Thanks and best regards
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Enabling the -f parameter will reduce the number of bounces marked by the system since you'll be using the email address for your site. Even better would be to use SMTP.

You can prune or move users in the AdminCP under Users -> Prune / Move Users. There are a variety of options to narrow down the number of users deleted and you can choose to delete them selectively one at a time.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• gnrx
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Enabling the -f parameter will reduce the number of bounces marked by the system since you'll be using the email address for your site. Even better would be to use SMTP.
      Hello, I enable the -f parameter Let's see if that solves the problem a bit.
      The problem is the number of users that your email account no longer exists.
      The current server (as well as the previous one) told me that the "bounces" came mainly from Microsoft
      Also, I enable Use header for bulk emails? (Bulk)
      I do not know if it's a good idea or not ...
      PS: Yes, I use SMTP.

You can prune or move users in the AdminCP under Users -> Prune / Move Users. There are a variety of options to narrow down the number of users deleted and you can choose to delete them selectively one at a time.
      Yes, I know this, but I have 2 problems with this.
      1.-My idea, is to "clean" / move user group those users whose email address no longer exists, and I do not know how I can do this.
      2.-I have tried to eliminate around 8k users that are in the user group: Users waiting for email confirmation. During these years many users have been generated in this group. I filter users who have not logged in for more than 365 days, who have less than 5 messages (for example) and the filter is only for that group, they appear around 8k.
      When the list appears, they are all marked, I give the Deleted option and this error window appears:
      Invalid Action Specified.

As always, thank you very much and greetings!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

If the email accounts don't exist, you will continue to get bounces. That is how the system is supposed to work. The only way to prevent the bounces is to find those email addresses in your system and either delete the user or move them to a group that won't receive the email. The only way to find emails that don't exist is to look at the bounces and manage them manually.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• gnrx
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          If the email accounts don't exist, you will continue to get bounces. That is how the system is supposed to work. The only way to prevent the bounces is to find those email addresses in your system and either delete the user or move them to a group that won't receive the email. The only way to find emails that don't exist is to look at the bounces and manage them manually.
          Hi,
          Sorry for the delay.

The only way to prevent the bounces is to find those email addresses in your system and either delete the user or move them to a group that won't receive the email.
          The only way to find emails that don't exist is to look at the bounces and manage them manually.[
          Ups, this is very difficult for me because, I don't have 50 or 100 users with email accounts don't exist, I have more than 1.000 or 2.000, if I need view one per one.....

About my other problem:
          2.-I have tried to eliminate around 8k users that are in the user group: Users waiting for email confirmation. During these years many users have been generated in this group. I filter users who have not logged in for more than 365 days, who have less than 5 messages (for example) and the filter is only for that group, they appear around 8k.
          When the list appears, they are all marked, I give the Deleted option and this error window appears:
          Invalid Action Specified.
          Its possible solved this or made by other mode?

Thanks and regards.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by gnrx
            Its possible solved this or made by other mode?
            Select fewer users to delete in each batch. 8K Users at once is probably using more resources than allocated to your installation. Or you can try bumping the PHP Memory up to 2 GB or so.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...