Locked out of my server and nobody knows why.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scalemotorcars
    • Mar 2006

Locked out of my server and nobody knows why.

Ok, so I'll try and condense this. A few days ago I got locked out of my hosting and nobody can figure out why. My site still works fine its just MY IP that can't access any part of the server. I have other programs running on the server and I can't access those either. I also can't access Cpanel, and I can't FTP into the hosting. (this eliminates an htaccess block, besides I haven't messed with those files in years.)

If I VPN I can get to my site and its CP but it's a huge pain the *** This is what's been checked.

As mentioned above I can get my site & CP using an online VPN (I don't use a VPN normally) I didn't accidentally ban my IP and I even completely turned off IP banning, cleared the cache and no luck still locked out.

I've tried three browsers, all cleared cache, and no luck.

I rebooted my PC three times because why not. No luck...

I made sure all adblocking was disabled and again cleared cache and nothing.

I have a DNS trap and turned it off and nothing. I even removed it from my network and still nothing.

I've fully reset my modem/router and spent 2 hours on the phone with my internet providers top tech resetting everything and still no luck.

I've hardwired around the router bypassing any wifi and nothing.

I disabled plugins and nothing. (by the way, all the plugins have been running on the site for years).

I tried to Ping the server from my CMD and failed every time.

The only thing that changed on the site in months is a few CSS tweaks to clean up some of the divs.

Now the main event recently is my site was hit with a DOS attack about a week ago but I blocked all the IP's causing the attack. Again I made sure 100% none of them were from me or my server/hosting. Besides, I used the site for about a week before I couldn't access it so that's not it. And again I completely disabled the IP blocking and I was still locked out.

I also get hit by Registration Spam bots every few minutes almost every day. I was going to make some changed to register.pho but as mentioned I can't get to any of the files or Cp to do it effectively and I didn't make any changes to it before being locked out.

Did I mention that my hosting has gone over all there DNS blocking and reset all passwords to their servers and they can't find the issue either. They are still working on it but Its been 2 days with no updates.

So, in short, My IP and my servers IP refuse to talk to each other. If I go to Starbucks it works fine. If I use my Cellphones data plan it works fine. Its just my physical IP thats locked out.

Does anyone have any idea what else I could check?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

What is the actual error returned by vBulletin that you're receiving on the page when you visit with your blocked IP Address?

PING is often disabled on production servers. It serves very little legitimate purpose and is frequently the target of DDOS attacks.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Without much information to go on it sounds like the server is blocking either 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1

Comment

• Scalemotorcars
        • Mar 2006

I just get a timeout ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT It doesn't matter what browser I use its the same thing. I also tried to VPN into the CPanel and got a white page, no error just nothing. I'm assuming its blocking the VPN with some type of script.

I also tried to SSH and got denied there also.

Someone mentioned Cphulk but I'm pretty sure the host tried that and my IP wasn't blocked. I'm going to call again tomorrow and make sure.

It just seems very odd that it would happen all of a sudden without being provoked by failed login's and just my IP the owner of the domain. I can see it blocking someone else but why would it block me. And if they were able to spoof my IP how the hell did they get it?

Comment

• Mark.B
          vBulletin Support
          • Feb 2004
          • 6.0.X

These are questions you need to ask your host. vBulletin doesn't have any input to this sort of problem.
          MARK.B
          vBulletin Support
          ------------
          My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
          My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

This is not an issue related to the vBulletin software. vBulletin has no control over the server connection. Please see this article: https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/h...ion-timed-out/

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Scalemotorcars
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mark.B
              These are questions you need to ask your host. vBulletin doesn't have any input to this sort of problem.
              Nice tech support guys.
              I never said it did but with all the VB admins here I figured it would be a good place to ask for advice. I didn't realize that wasn't allowed.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Scalemotorcars

Nice tech support guys.
                I never said it did but with all the VB admins here I figured it would be a good place to ask for advice. I didn't realize that wasn't allowed.
                It's not that it isn't allowed.

Our support is limited to the vBulletin software. We're not server configuration experts, and even if we were, we do not know your server, its configuration, its performance, what else is running on it, etc. We could therefore easily give you advice that breaks something else that we weren't aware of.

When we advise 'you would be best speaking to your host', that is because they can provide a far more accurate answer than we can. Anything we say about server configuration will always be generic at best.

You're getting connection timeouts and access denied errors. All we can do with those is have a speculative guess at what might be causing it, but there are numerous possible causes. We can't tell you for certain what the cause is, whereas your hosts can.

In short, we are trying to point you to the people best placed to answer, rather than have us guess at the possible causes, which wouldn't be helpful.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Scalemotorcars
                  • Mar 2006

Thanks to a few wonderful members here and mostly the members at Vbulletin.org I was able to narrow down the issue.

Seems one of the servers that routed me to my specific server had for some dumb reason blacklisted my IP. Going a tracert from the Command Prompt showed exactly what server was denying access. Now my hosting company isn't the best and it still took them a week to whitelist my IP but its finally fixed.

So, even though this has nothing to do with the VB code if you run into this thread researching a similar issue try the tracert and report the results to your hosting.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

You probably triggered their anti-DDOS protection. Could have been through no fault of your doing and just happened. Automated systems can cause havoc at times. It is good that you have it resolved now.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...