Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christie
    • Oct 2004

A couple of my members have reported an issue of appearing to be logged out when leaving and returning to the forum. They are still showing as being online the forum end but their end they are getting the log in screen.

I have now experienced this problem myself. I don't log out but when I return to the forum am faced with the log in screen. This is on my Android tablet, on my windows 10 pc there is not the problem. If I tap the forum banner top left, I am straight in without inputting my username and password, then it's ok till my next visit. I have tried deleting cookies, and browser history but the issue is still there.

One of those having issues is on an ipad, the other on laptop pc running windows.

Any ideas please?

I am running version 4.2.5
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Don't delete your cookies. Logins are tracked by cookies on the device. It is very easy to delete cookies in a Web Browser. There are even addons that "helpfully" delete them for you when you close the browser. However when you delete them, then you will not be logged in when you visit again. Even if you checked the "remember me" box on the previous visit.

That said 4.2.5 isn't really mobile friendly. It has a number of issues that will never be resolved.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Christie
      • Oct 2004

I've now had more members reporting this issue - some on windows 10 pc's. I think I may have found the issue.All those having problems were coming in from icon shortcuts. I told them to access the forum from inputting the url, that got them straight in. So I then told them to remove the old shortcuts and set up new ones to the forum index page. That seems to have worked so far, it would seem that somehow the shortcuts have become corrupt.

Any thoughts on why this could happen please?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

I have no idea. Only thing that I can guess is that the shortcut leads somewhere that there is no permission to view. This would show the login screen even if you're logged in already.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Christie
          • Oct 2004

I could see that if it was just affecting the members, but as administrator I have access to all parts of the forum and it was happening to me.

Could it be connected to the htaccess file?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            • Aug 2000

If you have edited the .htaccess file then maybe. Really don't have a clue. Haven't seen the shortcut or tried the link it provides.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Christie
              • Oct 2004

Yes i had edited the htaccess file to block unwanted traffic from China. I've removed the edit now and so far so good with creating new shortcuts. Thanks for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...