my.cnf settings in order to prevent long load time for huge threads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Druff
    • Mar 2012
    • 4.1.x

my.cnf settings in order to prevent long load time for huge threads?

I have a forum which is relatively small, with low-medium traffic. However, it seems that in the past 3 years, the main activity takes place in a few very long threads.

These threads have about 15,000-40,000 posts each.

I noticed that they were loading quite slowly, sometimes taking as long as 60 seconds to come up. I did notice that, after being loaded recently, the thread then loads fairly quickly for the next user, provided only a short time has passed since it was last loaded. (Perhaps because it was already in memory?)

Anyway, I assumed this was because I only had 4 GB RAM.

I just upgraded to a faster machine with 64 GB RAM.

It has improved a little, but the long load times still persist for those large threads. Perhaps I don't have the my.cnf settings right for a machine with 64GB?

Can someone give me some guidance here? I'm on PHP 5.6, in case you're wondering.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Your best bet with threads of that size is to split them. That's long been the case and you can see it done on many large vB3 and vB4 forums.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Dan Druff
      • Mar 2012
      • 4.1.x

Yes, I realize that, but I'm afraid it will kill the activity of those threads. My users kinda love the fact that the threads are so huge.

I would think on a modern VPS with 64GB RAM, it should be able to handle it.

Can someone suggest some setting tweaks to try?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...