Users reporting forum is freezing, how do I troubleshoot?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • insidethehall
    • Oct 2012
    • 4.2.X

Users reporting forum is freezing, how do I troubleshoot?

I've got a weird issue going on the past few weeks that I have been unable to solve. I'm running 4.2.5 on PHP 7.1 and really haven't had any performance issues at all. But recently, some users (primarily on iPad and iPhone) have been reporting that the forum will just hang on certain pages and then they have to close the browser and come back into the forum to get this to resolve.

I checked with our host initially a few weeks back, but they told me that everything appeared to be fine server side. There's been no downtime issues, nor any error status codes in the server logs that indicate an issue. I also had someone who helped us migrate servers a few times look into it, but she was also unable to find anything out of the ordinary.

From my side of things, I am in the forum regularly and post quite frequently and have never had this issue occur to me. I have even used it on my phone and tried to reproduce what is reported to me without success.

I am just curious if anyone has any tips on where to begin to troubleshoot on this? Since I am unable to reproduce this on my own, I am curious if there are specific things I can ask my users to provide to me that may help me find the root of the issue?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Are they using the mobile style on iPad and iPhone?

The only way to troubleshoot is to get diagnostic information off the device. Are there any crash reports from their browsers? They would be under Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data on the device.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• insidethehall
      • Oct 2012
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Are they using the mobile style on iPad and iPhone?

The only way to troubleshoot is to get diagnostic information off the device. Are there any crash reports from their browsers? They would be under Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data on the device.
      I should be able to get some users to provide that info. What should I do once I receive it?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

It should be a series of files. You can attach them to this topic.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• insidethehall
          • Oct 2012
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          It should be a series of files. You can attach them to this topic.
          Thank you. Will do.

Comment