• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alano
    • Oct 2018
    • 4.2.x

[Forum] Change encoding charset of XML Sitemap from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1

Hi,

I'm trying to build my sitemap however my forum is using the meta charset "ISO-8859-1", and once the sitemap xml files are generated, they use the UTF-8 charset, which causes encoding errors for special characters in urls and thus never complete the full generation process.

Do you know how can I change the xml sitemap charset before they get generated please?

I've tried to change the charset of the forum in the language settings but that doesn't solve the problem..

Thanks
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

ISO-8859-1 is a subset of UTF-8. Every character in ISO-8859-1 exists in UTF-8 but not the other way around. Which specific characters are causing problems?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alano
      • Oct 2018
      • 4.2.x

This one for example : À

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

vBulletin 4 will most likely convert that character to its HTML entity regardless of the character set. That is simply how the software handled characters like this. It inherited this from vBulletin 3. When vBulletin 3 was released, you couldn't really store UTF-8 in a MySQL database. Of course things changed over time and now MySQL is UTF-8 by default. However, backwards compatibility was maintained so data continued to work properly. We're still working on vBulletin 5 convertors for this legacy data to store it in the UTF8MB4 character set.

However, the problem here is that XML is supposed to be UTF-8 at all times. All processors expect it to be UTF-8 or UTF-16. To support this, you'd be better off making sure that you're using MySQL 5.7 or higher and converting your database to UTF-8. Unfortunately, that is easier said than done with legacy data.

Encoded characters should be accepted, what is the error that you're getting when submitting the Site Map?
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• alano
          • Oct 2018
          • 4.2.x

I don't get errors when submitting the sitemap, however the sitemap isn't fully generated but anyways, i've bought the xml-sitemaps standalone that creates it.

Comment