Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Hawk
    • Aug 2008

Can't name a section called "Yeti"

So I have a section on my forum that was created a long time ago (almost 10 years) and has been used over the years without issue. New threads and posts over the years worked fine...

Until today when a single user reported that they were getting time outs when attempting to respond to a thread in that section where everything outside that section worked fine.

I was able to post new threads and reply in the section, but in my testing I am unable to create a new section called "New Yeti" or "Yeti2". It doesn't matter if I'm attempting to create a new section from scratch or if I'm editing an existing one. If I name it something else it all works fine.

Nothing has been updated recently that I am aware of:

PHP 7.0.32
    MySQL Version 10.0.37-MariaDB
    vBulletin 4.2.5

I've repaired databases, rebooted the server... There is no error displayed, and nothing I can find in any log (where should I be looking anyway?)

Can someone else tell me if they can create a section called "Yeti" or if there is any reason why that particular word is giving me grief??
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Could be server security software blocking it, such as mod_security. The rule triggering it may need relaxing.

Your host can verify this and assist.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• The_Hawk
      • Aug 2008

Actually, any use of the word "Yeti" anywhere in a post or title ends with a time out.

Comment

• The_Hawk
        • Aug 2008

...and disabling modsecurity in cpanel it appears to solve the problem. Is there any fine control in there?

edit: or it didn't. I was able to post one thread with the word yeti in ti, but not rename the section or post a second thread.
        Last edited by The_Hawk; Sun 18 Nov '18, 12:14am.

Comment

• The_Hawk
          • Aug 2008

Disabling modsecurity and rebooting (to be sure), it's still showing as off after a reboot... but I still can't name something yeti or use the word. I will log a call with the host but this one has me lost.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

There is a penetration testing suite called Yeti. An overzealous security team may block it.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...