X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrcranky
    • Oct 2012

vb4 and vbseo upgrade

Hi All,

Long story, but I have a vB 4 forum running vbseo - I have been apprehensive in upgrading as I am currently top on google for my keywords, so if it's not broke, don't fix it. However, I realise that there are security risks in running old software.

On my live env vb 4.2.2 and vbseo. Backend Windows Server, IIS, MySQL 5.1 PHP 5.3

Test env Windows 2012 MySQL 5.5 PHP 7

I tried to upgrade on the test system to 4.2.5 but was plagued with errors, managed to get most of them resolved by disabling hooks (effectively turning off vbseo) but now (obviously) all the links are broken, the updater fails on step 18 - blogs.

So I'm kinda stuck.

If I was to do a clean install of 5 or 4.2.5, is there a way to import external data from the old forum? Start from fresh on all the latest software.

Links I can probably live with by getting google to re-index, as much as I don't want to due to it's current rankings.

I need the most painless way to upgrade. Suggestions / ideas welcome.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Disable vBSEO, uninstall it and remove its rewrite rules. vBSEO should not be run on a live site, it's an obsolete third party product that has many major security flaws. The product has not been updated for many years.

This post may provide some guidance:
    This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• djbaxter
      • Aug 2006

I agree. If you're still running vBSEO, it is already broken - you just don't know it yet.

Redirecting the posts and threads is easy in htaccess but I can't help you with a windows server.

Redirecting forums and forum categories requires separate redirect htaccess lines for each, provided you saved the vBSEO URLs.

If you know how to translate htaccess rewrite and redirect commands, I can provide you with a sample for Apache.
      Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
      Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• fernandofgg
        • Feb 2014
        • 4.2.x

Originally posted by djbaxter
        I agree. If you're still running vBSEO, it is already broken - you just don't know it yet.

Redirecting the posts and threads is easy in htaccess but I can't help you with a windows server.

Redirecting forums and forum categories requires separate redirect htaccess lines for each, provided you saved the vBSEO URLs.

If you know how to translate htaccess rewrite and redirect commands, I can provide you with a sample for Apache.
        Hi, I send you a PM regarding SEO services, I will appreciate if you reply to me

Comment

• djbaxter
          • Aug 2006

Sorry. I've been busy with like 14 hour days doing two server migrations. I'll go check PMs now.

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

Replied to your PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...