X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peegoo
    • Jun 2018
    • 4.2.x

Sub-Forum with Restricted Access

Hello again. I have one sub-forum area on my site where the registered membership must meet certain minimum conditions before they can post a new thread or post a reply to an existing thread...thus a brand new registered member cannot immediately post in this area. These minimum conditions are either post count related...reputation related...or both (I forget).

It's been quite some time since I last looked at this...and now for the life of me...I can't remember how it's done. I basically want to verify what these minimum access conditions are...and possibily modify them if necessary.

Can someone please remind me how this is done?

Thanks
  • peegoo
    • Jun 2018
    • 4.2.x

Any info on this?

Thanks

Comment

• peegoo
      • Jun 2018
      • 4.2.x

5 days and no answer? I know i have one area on my website that a brand new registered member cannot access until thier post count or reputation hits a certain level. This is a "classified ad" area of my site...where members buy/sell/trade things. This semi-restricted access prevents brand new members from spamming this area...and from posting things here until they've gained a level of staus/trust with the website.

Problem is...I can't remember how this restricted access was setup for this individual forum area. Thanks

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

There is probably a usergroup promotion set up based upon those criteria. Members who meet the criteria are automatically promoted to the usergroup that has permissions to view the restricted forum. The viewing permissions for the restricted usergroup to view the sub-forum have been denied in that case.

Comment

• peegoo
          • Jun 2018
          • 4.2.x

Thanks very much for the reply!

What has me confused is...when I check out the permission settings...pretty much all of the choices are "Yes/No". There's no field for setting up numerical values to create these minimum access levels.

And as example...maybe one of the minimum criteria for access to a sub-forum area is the member must have at least 10 posts or 10 reputation points to be alowed to post replies or post new threads in this area.

Just so it's clear. In this sub-forum arrea. All registered members can view this area...but only members who have cleared the minimum hurdle of say 10 posts or 10 repuation ponts are allowed to post new threads...or post replies to a thread.

Thank You

Comment

• In Omnibus
            In Omnibus commented
            Editing a comment
            Look in your Usergroup Promotions for those permissions (Days Registered, Posts, Reputation)
        • djbaxter
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by peegoo
          Thanks very much for the reply!

What has me confused is...when I check out the permission settings...pretty much all of the choices are "Yes/No". There's no field for setting up numerical values to create these minimum access levels.

And as example...maybe one of the minimum criteria for access to a sub-forum area is the member must have at least 10 posts or 10 reputation points to be alowed to post replies or post new threads in this area.

Just so it's clear. In this sub-forum arrea. All registered members can view this area...but only members who have cleared the minimum hurdle of say 10 posts or 10 repuation ponts are allowed to post new threads...or post replies to a thread.

Thank You
          I may be misunderstanding your questions but I think this may be what you need:

You need to create a new usergroup.

For example, new members by default get automatically assigned to the Registered usergroup. Set up permissions so that Registered can not see the restricted subforum.

Create a new usergroup, say "Full Member", and give that group access to the restricted subforum.

Then, as In Omnibus said above, set up the usergroup permissions so that members of Registered are automatically promoted to Full Member after 10 post or 10 reputation posts or whatever criteria you want.
          Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
          Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• peegoo
            • Jun 2018
            • 4.2.x

Thanks In Omnibus...I will check that out.

Comment

• peegoo
              • Jun 2018
              • 4.2.x

Originally posted by djbaxter

I may be misunderstanding your questions but I think this may be what you need:

You need to create a new usergroup.

For example, new members by default get automatically assigned to the Registered usergroup. Set up permissions so that Registered can not see the restricted subforum.

Create a new usergroup, say "Full Member", and give that group access to the restricted subforum.

Then, as In Omnibus said above, set up the usergroup permissions so that members of Registered are automatically promoted to Full Member after 10 post or 10 reputation posts or whatever criteria you want.
              Thanks djbaxter...I think you mostly have things correct. I should clarify that I'm not looking to creat a new usergroup...this forum with the limited access is already in place.

What I want to do is verify (and possibly modify) the restrictions that are already in place. What my difficulty has been up to this point was...trying to find where the heck these usergroup settings are (for example members need to have at least 10 posts). Maybe what "In Omnibus" mentioned is what I need to check out.

Please verify if you think there's an additional place I should be looking for these forum restriction settings.

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...