Database error (mysql deprecated) need help to force it to work (I can't use mysqli)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SToP_GAP
    • Aug 2012
    • 4.1.x

Database error (mysql deprecated) need help to force it to work (I can't use mysqli)

Hi,

I was recently forced to upgrade PHP/mysql (and ubuntu) version on a very old server with VBB 4.2.0 Patch Level 3. I'm now on PHP 5.5.9 and mysql 14.14 and am getting the error:

Code:
    Database error in vBulletin :
     mysql_pconnect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead /********/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 317
    I am aware that ideally I should be using mysqli and I know how to switch to it. If I do then the error goes away. BUT... I cannot use mysqli for a large number of reasons, so please don't tell me to use it as I truly cannot. I am in the process of upgrading this forum on a new server - I've just had to undertake steps on the old one unexpectedly and I don't have the time/budget to deal with the incompatibilities in our plugins (which are not mysqli and are very extensive) and other issues, especially when I'm about to kill this old server in a couple of weeks anyway.

So... as I understand it these functions were only deprecated in this version of PHP/mysql and were not actually removed until PHP7. As such, I assume there should be some way to force VBB to just accept the deprecated functions which still work elsewhere - I just can't for the life of me find how to do it.

I've attempted in global.php and php.ini to disable deprecation warnings to no avail. I even tried disabling the ability for scripts to change the error message reporting, in php.ini. I would be immensely grateful if someone could help - this is super urgent as our site has been down for 2 days now due to this issue.

Thanks
  • SToP_GAP
    • Aug 2012
    • 4.1.x

Well I've located the line:

PHP Code:
    var $reporterror true
    in /includes/class_core.php and setting this to false seems to make it all work again. I don't like editing the core files and am concerned about this stopping database error detection for "genuine" errors which might arise - does anyone know whether this is likely if disabling this?

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Disabling error messages is the least of your issues. Your vBulletin and MySQL versions are major security risks. The only advice I can give you is to upgrade the software and the server to current versions and to remove any plugins which do not function under these conditions. If you're unwilling to do that the error messages will be the least of your concerns.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

You need to run mysqli. There is no supported way round this. A lot of stuff will break if you don't.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• SToP_GAP
          • Aug 2012
          • 4.1.x

I don't need to run MySQLi - nothing has broken with the step I took whatever, nor should it. The functions are deprectated, not removed (until several PHP iterations later). As I said, I have to run this setup - I don't have a choice right now, I was quite clear about that - telling me what I've said I can't do is what I must do, when it's not the only solution, with respect, doesn't help.

One of the main reasons I cannot upgrade is an extensive multi-language solution which I wrote completely fails under later revisions of the forum, even though it made no core changes and did not rely on any deprecated hooks or other such measures. I am actually moving to a more flexible forum system, a process which is nearly complete and so in addition to the cannot, there is a will not aspect. This was clearly stated in my OP.
          Last edited by SToP_GAP; Mon 23 Jul '18, 12:52pm.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

If you want to obtain support from us, you must run mysqli.

The MySQL class is no longer support by us or by the creators of PHP. You should also upgrade to PHP 5.6.30 (support ends 12/31/2018) and vBulletin 4.2.5 if you want to run a secure forum.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• SToP_GAP
              • Aug 2012
              • 4.1.x

All I asked for was a way to disable the error checking, which was perfectly possible and I have achieved it myself since I originally asked. It works just fine for my setup. I shared my findings of which switch to flip on here so that others who need the same help (and evidently won't get it from anyone at this company) can have an answer.

Again, as I clearly said in the first place and reiterated, I cannot upgrade the versions right now. Wasting time to tell me what I expressly asked you not to do serves what purpose exactly? I won't miss the attitude and "help" here when I migrate away to a competitor product, I can tell you that for nothing!

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by SToP_GAP
                All I asked for was a way to disable the error checking, which was perfectly possible and I have achieved it myself since I originally asked. It works just fine for my setup. I shared my findings of which switch to flip on here so that others who need the same help (and evidently won't get it from anyone at this company) can have an answer.

Again, as I clearly said in the first place and reiterated, I cannot upgrade the versions right now. Wasting time to tell me what I expressly asked you not to do serves what purpose exactly? I won't miss the attitude and "help" here when I migrate away to a competitor product, I can tell you that for nothing!
                You will find every competitor, indeed every software package, to be the same.

You presented us with an issue - we advised what you needed to do - you stated you were not going to do that - so we stated we could not provide support.

That's how it will be everywhere. There are supported configurations, and then there are unsupported configurations, and for help with the latter you would normally either do it yourself, or employ the services of a third party programmer. You will find this pretty much everywhere.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• SToP_GAP
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 4.1.x

Well I've already experienced infinitely better customer support, with supported and "unsupported" matters with a competitor board system. I don't suppose it will be heeded here but this place has a reputation and not without reason - if it isn't fixed then eventually many many more of your customers will migrate away - I know a tonne of other site operators who have and I sure won't be the last!

As for "unsupported". I paid for this software and asked a simple question, which would have been trivial to answer if you had decided to actually listen to what a customer was saying and stop giving stock responses (which you were asked politely not to). People get stuck on old platforms and OS configurations and can't always upgrade for various reasons (often beyond their control). It is not ideal but it is a fact of life in the web world and deciding to cut off support and tell a customer it is impossible or essentially "we won't tell you" when it is perfectly possible is just about the most infuriating thing you can do - especially when the customer has clearly stated there are solid reasons for not being able to make those upgrades. All you do by this is come across as officious and jobsworthy. I know I wouldn't dream of treating my customers that way, in fact my company prides itself on the exact opposite behaviour. Again, I won't be the last to leave your company - there are better offerings out there and better customer service.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Code modification is outside the scope of the technical support that we provide. You are welcome to modify the code but it puts your software into an unsupported state. This has always been the case with vBulletin.

For the benefit of all of our customers, we cannot provide support for server platforms that are no longer supported by their creators. This is the case with PHP 5.5.X. It is end of life and we cannot provide support for it. This is why we recommend that you upgrade. So that you have the best possible experience.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...