Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimnyc
    • Aug 2003

[Forum] Slow opening PM's

My board is like 10 years old now and has about 900k posts, and I'm sure a lot of stored messages by members from over the years, even though there are limitations in the amount.

Opening everything else is quick and smooth. But when you click to go to PM's, it may take anywhere from 5-30 seconds. But once it's accessed, if you go back say 1 minute later, then it opens quickly.

Anyone have any ideas as to why accessing PM's would get slower - and is there anything that can be done to increase the performance of this access?

Thanks much!

-Jim
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Sounds like the queries are rarely used and MySQL does not have them cached in their buffers on the first load. So either the buffer is getting overwritten a lot and quickly or users simply aren't using PMs very often. The only solution that I can think of with vBulletin 4.X is to increase MySQL's query buffer. Though if it is already over 200 MB then it may not have the effect that you're looking for.

Upgrading MySQL to 5.7.X may also provide benefit. I don't recommend MySQL 8 for vBulletin 4.X. The systems haven't been tested together and MySQL 8 may not work.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jimnyc
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      Sounds like the queries are rarely used and MySQL does not have them cached in their buffers on the first load. So either the buffer is getting overwritten a lot and quickly or users simply aren't using PMs very often. The only solution that I can think of with vBulletin 4.X is to increase MySQL's query buffer. Though if it is already over 200 MB then it may not have the effect that you're looking for.

Upgrading MySQL to 5.7.X may also provide benefit. I don't recommend MySQL 8 for vBulletin 4.X. The systems haven't been tested together and MySQL 8 may not work.
      Thanks so much, Wayne!

Changing the MySQL's query buffer - I am on a VPS shared server plan. Is this something I can change, or likely my host? At least I have the necessary info to relay should it be them.

Thanks again,

-Jim

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Whether you can change it or not depends on how your VPS is configured. It is a MySQL variable so you would have to ask them how to change it.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jimnyc
          • Aug 2003

Ok, thanks again, I appreciate your time!

-Jim

Comment

• Mattwhf
            • May 2016
            • 4.2.x

Slow sometime or all the time?
            If that happened sometime then when you could get a high load on your hosting server. Improve your server will help to solve the problem.
            Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
            Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

• jimnyc
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Mattwhf
              Slow sometime or all the time?
              If that happened sometime then when you could get a high load on your hosting server. Improve your server will help to solve the problem.
              Only with the first time accessing them in 'awhile'. If I logon, I can click on 50 links in a row, all will load almost instantly. Then click on PM's, and it will take forever to load. But then I can go click on more links, which still open instantly, and then if I go back to PM's they will load just as quick. It's only PM's and only when you haven't accessed them in awhile. I think Wayne nailed it in post #2.

Comment

• Mattwhf
                • May 2016
                • 4.2.x

Originally posted by jimnyc

Then click on PM's, and it will take forever to load.
                Are you using a custom mod for PM or have you set/limit number of PMs for each user group or doing other configurations else with PM on your forum?

Web Hosting Forum - Learn web hosting and offering your web hosting plans for free!
                Tranh phong cảnh, tranh nghệ thuật đẹp, bếp từ nhập khẩu chất lượng cao!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...