EU's GDPR

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    Hidden / Private. Both mean the same thing. This field should really be private. Regular users have no need for this information anyway.

• jagtpf
    commented on 's reply
    I don't get an option to hide - only to set as private (checked as No).
    Set on Edit Profile
    Field required, always.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It should show on the "Edit Profile" page under Settings by default. You can change the location by editing the Custom User Profile Field.

If it is a hidden profile field, it will not show on the User's Profile unless your usergroup has the "Can View Hidden Profile Fields" permission.

Leave a comment:

• jagtpf
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Wayne....Something to consider at some time in the future, but we'll make do with vB4 for a wee bit longer. Thanks for your help and advice - much appreciated.

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    Addons would have to be updated to use the new code base. 90% of the code in vBulletin 5 is different from vBulletin 3 and 4. The database structure is completely different as well.

• jagtpf
    replied
    I've added a profile field that uses 3 buttons, Yes, No, Outside the EU. One has to be filled in - there's no default.
    (I was expecting this to show in the user's profile fields on the main page, but it currently only shows in Admincp - maybe it's a cron job that needs to update? I'll
    find out in due course.)
    The Field has to be filled in before the Member can continue. I have added a Notice explaining the new field, plus made alterations to the T&C on my site.

All I need now is the first banned member to insist I delete all their stuff! Have at least one who periodically sticks his nose in!

Mind there's nothing to stop a banned member using this deletion of account to re-register!

Leave a comment:

• jagtpf
    replied
    Originally posted by In Omnibus

Except that they are completely wrong about who needs to comply with the GDPR and for what reasons. You go ahead and take their advice though if you like.
    Seems an ideal example that indicates no one really knows, probably not even the EU legislators who wrote the damn thing! Largely because it was instigated because of the large social media sites such as FB and Twitter etc......!

Leave a comment:

• jagtpf
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke

vBulletin 5 is actually more customizable than vBulletin 4. It was more customizable at release but in different ways. The API is more robust, you can control the entire look and feel via CSS, and every page is customizable with modules. The module system itself is extendible so you can create custom modules. You can add to templates without actually editing the templates we ship through template hooks. You can expand the API with PHP Extensions. New phrases, style variables, and templates can be added using the Product System just like in vBulletin 4. You can run your own custom code. Using the API, you can actually do things programmatically in templates without the need for PHP. Things like retrieving values from the database and displaying them on a page. All of this was available at release.

The only thing that vBulletin 5 didn't ship with was the ability to store PHP Code in the database as Plugins. Since then, we have even added a plugin system but still do not allow PHP code to be stored in the database.
    Can we transfer vB4 plugins as in Awards and Ranks, we discovered no when we first looked on upgrading to 4 from 3.

Leave a comment:

• LockedOnLaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Walker
    As there has been very little assistance provided by vBulletin, I found this page on the Xenforo forum website. It answers a lot of questions, missing here.

https://xenforo.com/community/thread...nd-xf2.146888/
    Except that they are completely wrong about who needs to comply with the GDPR and for what reasons. You go ahead and take their advice though if you like.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by jagtpf
    vB5 doesn't offer the custom-ability that vB4 does (or at least it didn't when I looked into upgrading).
    vBulletin 5 is actually more customizable than vBulletin 4. It was more customizable at release but in different ways. The API is more robust, you can control the entire look and feel via CSS, and every page is customizable with modules. The module system itself is extendible so you can create custom modules. You can add to templates without actually editing the templates we ship through template hooks. You can expand the API with PHP Extensions. New phrases, style variables, and templates can be added using the Product System just like in vBulletin 4. You can run your own custom code. Using the API, you can actually do things programmatically in templates without the need for PHP. Things like retrieving values from the database and displaying them on a page. All of this was available at release.

The only thing that vBulletin 5 didn't ship with was the ability to store PHP Code in the database as Plugins. Since then, we have even added a plugin system but still do not allow PHP code to be stored in the database.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    The problem is that all of vBulletin's customers have the same problem of what to do and kind of expect vBulletin to at least give advice as to what changes need to be made and how to do it, even if there is a disclaimer that goes with the advice. With draconian fines of up to 20 million Euros, surely it makes sense to support the customer base in this important issue.

You say it is risky to vBulletin, well yes but they have to upgrade their own websites as well and by not providing enough advice, you are risking that your customer's will end up with hefty fines.

Surely this is reason enough to even provide support for version 4.2.5 customers, as well.

If Xenforos can provide advice, why not vBulletin?
    The problem with providing legal advice with disclaimers, is that disclaimers don't generally mean a great deal. You cannot provide uninsured unqualified legal advice and then disclaim by saying "Warning: this advice might be rubbish and get you into serious trouble".

vB4 is end of life from a development perspective and no new features will be added, however we have provided some suggestions on how compliance might be achieved in vB4 (and vB3).

Software doesn't actually NEED extra features for compliance, it's just a matter of convenience.

I would also caution against listening to people who provide longs lists of things you MUST do otherwise <world falls in>. They are invariably partially if not entirely wrong. We had this with the cookie compliance stuff, with predictions of fines running into millions, prison sentences, none of which ever happened. There is much unnecessary hysteria over all this.

Leave a comment:

• jagtpf
    replied
    The problem is that all of vBulletin's customers have the same problem of what to do and kind of expect vBulletin to at least give advice as to what changes need to be made and how to do it, even if there is a disclaimer that goes with the advice. With draconian fines of up to 20 million Euros, surely it makes sense to support the customer base in this important issue.

You say it is risky to vBulletin, well yes but they have to upgrade their own websites as well and by not providing enough advice, you are risking that your customer's will end up with hefty fines.

Surely this is reason enough to even provide support for version 4.2.5 customers, as well.

As an aside, of course, this is an EU issue - not an International or even US one....

But if Zenforo deem it important enough to offer support, then perhaps that's a place to go to if another software change is required?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Walker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jagtpf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B
    Very little assistance? We are adding GDPR support into vB5. This has been a major project.

We cannot provide legal advice however. You will need a lawyer for that.
    Indeed - but not in vB4. I know it's a 'no longer' supported version, but this is a major change.
    vB5 doesn't offer the custom-ability that vB4 does (or at least it didn't when I looked into upgrading).
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who runs a non-monetary Forum as a hobby.
    Whether I need to do anything seems to fall into a grey area as far as clarity on details is concerned.

Legal advice is unaffordable.

Leave a comment:

• jagtpf
    replied
    I've followed advice on another thread, to create a new entry on the profile, that's set as "required". Not too sure it's working as there's nothing yet on member's profiles. It's set, also, under 'edit profile'.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...