X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jagtpf
    vB5 doesn't offer the custom-ability that vB4 does (or at least it didn't when I looked into upgrading).
    vBulletin 5 is actually more customizable than vBulletin 4. It was more customizable at release but in different ways. The API is more robust, you can control the entire look and feel via CSS, and every page is customizable with modules. The module system itself is extendible so you can create custom modules. You can add to templates without actually editing the templates we ship through template hooks. You can expand the API with PHP Extensions. New phrases, style variables, and templates can be added using the Product System just like in vBulletin 4. You can run your own custom code. Using the API, you can actually do things programmatically in templates without the need for PHP. Things like retrieving values from the database and displaying them on a page. All of this was available at release.

The only thing that vBulletin 5 didn't ship with was the ability to store PHP Code in the database as Plugins. Since then, we have even added a plugin system but still do not allow PHP code to be stored in the database.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• In Omnibus
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Peter Walker
      As there has been very little assistance provided by vBulletin, I found this page on the Xenforo forum website. It answers a lot of questions, missing here.

https://xenforo.com/community/thread...nd-xf2.146888/
      Except that they are completely wrong about who needs to comply with the GDPR and for what reasons. You go ahead and take their advice though if you like.

Comment

• jagtpf
        • Feb 2015
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

vBulletin 5 is actually more customizable than vBulletin 4. It was more customizable at release but in different ways. The API is more robust, you can control the entire look and feel via CSS, and every page is customizable with modules. The module system itself is extendible so you can create custom modules. You can add to templates without actually editing the templates we ship through template hooks. You can expand the API with PHP Extensions. New phrases, style variables, and templates can be added using the Product System just like in vBulletin 4. You can run your own custom code. Using the API, you can actually do things programmatically in templates without the need for PHP. Things like retrieving values from the database and displaying them on a page. All of this was available at release.

The only thing that vBulletin 5 didn't ship with was the ability to store PHP Code in the database as Plugins. Since then, we have even added a plugin system but still do not allow PHP code to be stored in the database.
        Can we transfer vB4 plugins as in Awards and Ranks, we discovered no when we first looked on upgrading to 4 from 3.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          Wayne Luke commented
          Editing a comment
          Addons would have to be updated to use the new code base. 90% of the code in vBulletin 5 is different from vBulletin 3 and 4. The database structure is completely different as well.

• jagtpf
          jagtpf commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Wayne....Something to consider at some time in the future, but we'll make do with vB4 for a wee bit longer. Thanks for your help and advice - much appreciated.
      • jagtpf
        • Feb 2015
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by In Omnibus

Except that they are completely wrong about who needs to comply with the GDPR and for what reasons. You go ahead and take their advice though if you like.
        Seems an ideal example that indicates no one really knows, probably not even the EU legislators who wrote the damn thing! Largely because it was instigated because of the large social media sites such as FB and Twitter etc......!

Comment

• jagtpf
          • Feb 2015
          • 3.8.x

I've added a profile field that uses 3 buttons, Yes, No, Outside the EU. One has to be filled in - there's no default.
          (I was expecting this to show in the user's profile fields on the main page, but it currently only shows in Admincp - maybe it's a cron job that needs to update? I'll
          find out in due course.)
          The Field has to be filled in before the Member can continue. I have added a Notice explaining the new field, plus made alterations to the T&C on my site.

All I need now is the first banned member to insist I delete all their stuff! Have at least one who periodically sticks his nose in!

Mind there's nothing to stop a banned member using this deletion of account to re-register!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

It should show on the "Edit Profile" page under Settings by default. You can change the location by editing the Custom User Profile Field.

If it is a hidden profile field, it will not show on the User's Profile unless your usergroup has the "Can View Hidden Profile Fields" permission.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• jagtpf
              jagtpf commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't get an option to hide - only to set as private (checked as No).
              Set on Edit Profile
              Field required, always.

• Wayne Luke
              Wayne Luke commented
              Editing a comment
              Hidden / Private. Both mean the same thing. This field should really be private. Regular users have no need for this information anyway.
          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...