Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steamboats
    • Apr 2006

[Forum] ckEditor just a grey field, can't post anything

after upgrading to vBulletin 4.2.5 from 3.8.11 everything works fine, except from the most important thing: I can't post anything because instead of the editor there is just a grey field (see screenshot).

Firefox webconsole shows the following error: uncaught exception: [CKEDITOR.editor.setMode] Unknown mode "enhancedsource".

Google Chrome console reports the same, and in addition: GET http:// www.mydomain.org/ forum/ clientscript/ ckeditor_config.js?v=425&t=B8DJ5M3 net::ERR_ABORTED

I'm using the default template, all plugins and products are deactivated (Skimlink, ForumRunner) or I did uninstall them even before the update. The issue appears in all browsers. PHP version is 5.6.

Any idea how I can fix this ant get the ckEditor to work properly?

Thanks and kind regards,
    Franz
    Last edited by steamboats; Wed 25 Apr '18, 11:07am.
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Often this is caused by mod_security truncating or blocking the javascript.

Ask your hosts if they are running that - if they are, ask them to turn it off briefly and then re-test. If the issue goes away, ask them to turn it back on, but amend whichever rule is causing it to be blocked.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• steamboats
      • Apr 2006

Okay, thanks so far. Unfortunately, my hosting provider is not willing to completely disable mod_security but instead is asking for the setting they have to make (i.e., what rule to define) to solve the issue ...

So, can you please tell me what exactly I (or they) have to do in mode_security, assumed that this is the cause for the issue? What rules settings do I need to apply?

Thanks and kind regards,
      Franz

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by steamboats
        Okay, thanks so far. Unfortunately, my hosting provider is not willing to completely disable mod_security but instead is asking for the setting they have to make (i.e., what rule to define) to solve the issue ...

So, can you please tell me what exactly I (or they) have to do in mode_security, assumed that this is the cause for the issue? What rules settings do I need to apply?

Thanks and kind regards,
        Franz
        This is classic "poor host" behaviour. How on Earth do they expect us to know what rule is being triggered on THEIR server?

They need to establish which rule it is and amend it. There is simply no way we could possibly know.

vBulletin 4 is installed on thousands and thousands of servers, many of which run mod_security, without issue.
        If they refuse to play ball, you should find a host who will actually help you rather than just blaming the software every time there's a problem.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------

Comment

• steamboats
          • Apr 2006

Okay eventually I could convince them to deactivate mod_security completely. Unfortunately this didn'd solve the issue. The editor field is still grayed. Anything else I can look into?

Comment

• steamboats
            • Apr 2006

I've tried a fresh install of vBulletin 4 and the issue goes away, so it really doesn't seam to be a hosting issue, but something that happend during the upgrade process from vb 3.8.15 to vb 4.2.5.

I'm just completely helpless what to look for or what to change. Please, help!

I also tried to import the database (via phpmyadmin) from the old 4.2.5 to the fresh, but that breaks everything. So, if there's a way to just import boards, threads and users to a fresh install, that would also be a way I'm willing to go. I looked into the Impex module but it asks for putting attachments into the database during the import process which is not an option here as there are many attachments and it would result in a huge database which caues more issues than it solves.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

You can't import the database like that.

Could be a corrupt file. Put the files from the fresh install into the main install (except includes/config.php).
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• steamboats
                • Apr 2006

copied the files from the new install to the main as intructed; unfortunately didn' solve the issue either.

are there any settings that might prefent the editor from working? but then, it shouldn't even try to load, right?

I'm pretty desperate as my forum is now down for several days already ...

Comment

• steamboats
                  • Apr 2006

I compared all settings, didn't find anything that might cause the issue. exported the setting from the fresh install and imported into the main -- with the result that the forum now is showing a blank page. It's gettign worse and worse. Please, HELP!

Comment

• steamboats
                    • Apr 2006

sorry for the many posts - juts an update: I recovered the main install with a backup, so I'm now at the beginning again: editor is gray and I have no idea how to solve this issue ...

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
                      • Jul 2008

Have you tried disabling add-ons by adding this line to your config.php file?

PHP Code:
                      define("DISABLE_HOOKS",true); 

Have you created a default style by going to Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> Add New Style, and create a new style with no parent style, and try that one.

Comment

• steamboats
                        • Apr 2006

New default style was the first thing I tried and unfortunately, disableing the hooks doesn't have any effect either.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Do you have access to the Apache Logs? It should tell you what is triggering mod_security.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• steamboats
                            • Apr 2006

I don't have access to the Apache logs. But we've ruled out mod_security as cause for the issue before by (briefly) deactivating mod_security completely. Also, a clean, fresh installation of vBulletin works without issues; the issue only appears in my working installation which is an upgrade from vb 3.8.11

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

What are the javascript errors in your browser's console? There has to be more than the one in the first post or you're triggering something like NoScript in your browser.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment