request to vbulletin solution : please extend vbulletin 4 updates and support

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cobra SA
    • May 2007

request to vbulletin solution : please extend vbulletin 4 updates and support

I know the chance you'll listen is very slim but I'm going to try anyway, and explain my reason with very simple words

1. why I won't upgrade to vb5 ?
    A. because it would cost me too much to upgrade all my essential customizations, the cost would be comparable to porting these essential customizations to another forum software

2. what's the problem with vbulletin 4?
    A. it's starting to feel very outdated compared to modern social web software, despite all my efforts to fill the gap with addons

I don't know exactly what happened but it seems like something went wrong with vbulletin v5
    Maybe if you go back to working on vb4 you could regain your once undisputed leadership, isn't it worth trying?
    For now I really don't want to use another forum software because I know what I have and I'm not sure where I would go,
    but at this rate I might have to abandon the ship within the couple next years
  • Bat21
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

I know what you are saying Cobra.

I have been with vBulletin for over 15 years now and feel the development changed around the time it changed from leased licence to owned licence. There is now no incentive for the guys here to keep developing vB the way it once was.

Many of the big sites that were once running on vB have moved to XenForo. I have to say whilst I love vB, the way XenForo handles images is way ahead.

I doubt very much I will move to vB5 and would like to see continued development of vB4, but I suspect that will never happen.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cobra SA
      2. what's the problem with vbulletin 4?
      A. it's starting to feel very outdated compared to modern social web software, despite all my efforts to fill the gap with addons
      This is exactly why we have ceased development on the software. vBulletin 4 is almost a decade old and hasn't received significant feature updates for 5 years now. It is not economically feasible to develop two different branches of vBulletin. To continue development, it would require a lot of refactoring of its old code. That is what we did for vBulletin 5.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Cobra SA
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

This is exactly why we have ceased development on the software. vBulletin 4 is almost a decade old and hasn't received significant feature updates for 5 years now. It is not economically feasible to develop two different branches of vBulletin. To continue development, it would require a lot of refactoring of its old code. That is what we did for vBulletin 5.
        I am very sad to hear that.

May I ask you a question, it's been 6 years vb5 was released IIRC
        and according to some site I will link below (please feel free to remove it if it violates your policies)
        vb5 market share is ridiculous compared to vb4 (133 vs 14,955)
        I don't know if these figures are accurate but if they are, it would mean you have the greatest contempt toward your own user base
        if these figures are true and you can't develop actively two branches, then shouldn't you stop vb5 active development and focus on vb4?

See web usage statistics of Forum Software technologies and discover which Forum Software technologies are the hottest right now

Comment

• Saeed Fazlollahzadeh
          • Jul 2016
          • 5.2.x

I agree.
          I love vB 4 and vB3 (4 more), but I really can't stand vB5 because vB5 is like another planet. vB4 is earth and when you want to move to Mars, you should leave all you have behind yourself to migrate to Mars. Just you yourself, your blood, your cells, your veils and your genes are along with you.

vB4 code structure is outdated? Then up-do-date it, step by step.

Phrases like "No", "It can't be done", "We Can't do it" do not exist in this world. Either "find a way" or "create one".

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

There is not going to be any further development on vB4. The focus is on vB5, which these days is a superb product which improves with every release.
            Many still judge vB5 based on 5.0.0. It is not remotely like that any more.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Cobra SA
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Mark.B
              There is not going to be any further development on vB4. The focus is on vB5, which these days is a superb product which improves with every release.
              Many still judge vB5 based on 5.0.0. It is not remotely like that any more.
              I apologize for my previous post, I've gone a bit too far, it was pure speculation and I didn't mean to harm your reputation.

The thing is the upgrade cost would be so much for me that I have to reconsider entirety whether I should stick to vbulletin or not. And maybe a lot of people are like me.

I understand you can't develop two branches simultaneously and if you don't want to focus on vb4 despite where the user base currently stands, then you probably have your reasons.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

I apologize for my previous post, I've gone a bit too far, it was pure speculation and I didn't mean to harm your reputation.

The thing is the upgrade cost would be so much for me that I have to reconsider entirety whether I should stick to vbulletin or not. And maybe a lot of people are like me.

I understand you can't develop two branches simultaneously and if you don't want to focus on vb4 despite where the user base currently stands, then you probably have your reasons.
                No need to apologise...feedback is always welcome.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  • Aug 2000

I am very sad to hear that.

May I ask you a question, it's been 6 years vb5 was released IIRC
                  and according to some site I will link below (please feel free to remove it if it violates your policies)
                  vb5 market share is ridiculous compared to vb4 (133 vs 14,955)
                  I don't know if these figures are accurate but if they are, it would mean you have the greatest contempt toward your own user base
                  if these figures are true and you can't develop actively two branches, then shouldn't you stop vb5 active development and focus on vb4?

https://www.similartech.com/categories/forum-software
                  Those statistics are no where near the number of licenses of vBulletin 5. I don't know how they obtained them but their methods are faulty. Other than that, I am not at liberty to discuss our sales levels.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Emad ELsayed
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 4.2.x

vbulletin strong company
                    But vb5 is good and has a lot of features but needs more attention
                    vb4 has features Removed in vb5, addition to a few products by developers in vBulletin.org
                    This is why not upgrade to vb5 by a lot of customers
                    I apologize for bad English
                    Best Regards

Comment

• albanah
                      • Jan 2010

I have purchased vb 5 upgrade but could not use it at all, so I had to revert back to vb4.
                      The support to get my site running on vb5 was very poor.

Comment

• djbaxter
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Those statistics are no where near the number of licenses of vBulletin 5. I don't know how they obtained them but their methods are faulty. Other than that, I am not at liberty to discuss our sales levels.
                        The number of vB5 licenses do not equal the number of forums running vB5.
                        Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
                        Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by djbaxter

The number of vB5 licenses do not equal the number of forums running vB5.
                          Never said it did. I said the number of vBulletin 5 installations stated on that page is grossly underestimated.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment