Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

request to vbulletin solution : please extend vbulletin 4 updates and support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • request to vbulletin solution : please extend vbulletin 4 updates and support

    I know the chance you'll listen is very slim but I'm going to try anyway, and explain my reason with very simple words


    1. why I won't upgrade to vb5 ?
    A. because it would cost me too much to upgrade all my essential customizations, the cost would be comparable to porting these essential customizations to another forum software

    2. what's the problem with vbulletin 4?
    A. it's starting to feel very outdated compared to modern social web software, despite all my efforts to fill the gap with addons

    I don't know exactly what happened but it seems like something went wrong with vbulletin v5
    Maybe if you go back to working on vb4 you could regain your once undisputed leadership, isn't it worth trying?
    For now I really don't want to use another forum software because I know what I have and I'm not sure where I would go,
    but at this rate I might have to abandon the ship within the couple next years

  • #2
    I know what you are saying Cobra.

    I have been with vBulletin for over 15 years now and feel the development changed around the time it changed from leased licence to owned licence. There is now no incentive for the guys here to keep developing vB the way it once was.

    Many of the big sites that were once running on vB have moved to XenForo. I have to say whilst I love vB, the way XenForo handles images is way ahead.

    I doubt very much I will move to vB5 and would like to see continued development of vB4, but I suspect that will never happen.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cobra SA View Post
      2. what's the problem with vbulletin 4?
      A. it's starting to feel very outdated compared to modern social web software, despite all my efforts to fill the gap with addons
      This is exactly why we have ceased development on the software. vBulletin 4 is almost a decade old and hasn't received significant feature updates for 5 years now. It is not economically feasible to develop two different branches of vBulletin. To continue development, it would require a lot of refactoring of its old code. That is what we did for vBulletin 5.
      Translations provided by Google.

      Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

        This is exactly why we have ceased development on the software. vBulletin 4 is almost a decade old and hasn't received significant feature updates for 5 years now. It is not economically feasible to develop two different branches of vBulletin. To continue development, it would require a lot of refactoring of its old code. That is what we did for vBulletin 5.
        I am very sad to hear that.

        May I ask you a question, it's been 6 years vb5 was released IIRC
        and according to some site I will link below (please feel free to remove it if it violates your policies)
        vb5 market share is ridiculous compared to vb4 (133 vs 14,955)
        I don't know if these figures are accurate but if they are, it would mean you have the greatest contempt toward your own user base
        if these figures are true and you can't develop actively two branches, then shouldn't you stop vb5 active development and focus on vb4?

        https://www.similartech.com/categories/forum-software

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree.
          I love vB 4 and vB3 (4 more), but I really can't stand vB5 because vB5 is like another planet. vB4 is earth and when you want to move to Mars, you should leave all you have behind yourself to migrate to Mars. Just you yourself, your blood, your cells, your veils and your genes are along with you.

          vB4 code structure is outdated? Then up-do-date it, step by step.

          Phrases like "No", "It can't be done", "We Can't do it" do not exist in this world. Either "find a way" or "create one".

          Comment


          • #6
            There is not going to be any further development on vB4. The focus is on vB5, which these days is a superb product which improves with every release.
            Many still judge vB5 based on 5.0.0. It is not remotely like that any more.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

            TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              There is not going to be any further development on vB4. The focus is on vB5, which these days is a superb product which improves with every release.
              Many still judge vB5 based on 5.0.0. It is not remotely like that any more.
              I apologize for my previous post, I've gone a bit too far, it was pure speculation and I didn't mean to harm your reputation.

              The thing is the upgrade cost would be so much for me that I have to reconsider entirety whether I should stick to vbulletin or not. And maybe a lot of people are like me.

              I understand you can't develop two branches simultaneously and if you don't want to focus on vb4 despite where the user base currently stands, then you probably have your reasons.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cobra SA View Post

                I apologize for my previous post, I've gone a bit too far, it was pure speculation and I didn't mean to harm your reputation.

                The thing is the upgrade cost would be so much for me that I have to reconsider entirety whether I should stick to vbulletin or not. And maybe a lot of people are like me.

                I understand you can't develop two branches simultaneously and if you don't want to focus on vb4 despite where the user base currently stands, then you probably have your reasons.
                No need to apologise...feedback is always welcome.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.4 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cobra SA View Post

                  I am very sad to hear that.

                  May I ask you a question, it's been 6 years vb5 was released IIRC
                  and according to some site I will link below (please feel free to remove it if it violates your policies)
                  vb5 market share is ridiculous compared to vb4 (133 vs 14,955)
                  I don't know if these figures are accurate but if they are, it would mean you have the greatest contempt toward your own user base
                  if these figures are true and you can't develop actively two branches, then shouldn't you stop vb5 active development and focus on vb4?

                  https://www.similartech.com/categories/forum-software
                  Those statistics are no where near the number of licenses of vBulletin 5. I don't know how they obtained them but their methods are faulty. Other than that, I am not at liberty to discuss our sales levels.
                  Translations provided by Google.

                  Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    vbulletin strong company
                    But vb5 is good and has a lot of features but needs more attention
                    vb4 has features Removed in vb5, addition to a few products by developers in vBulletin.org
                    This is why not upgrade to vb5 by a lot of customers
                    I apologize for bad English
                    Best Regards

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have purchased vb 5 upgrade but could not use it at all, so I had to revert back to vb4.
                      The support to get my site running on vb5 was very poor.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

                        Those statistics are no where near the number of licenses of vBulletin 5. I don't know how they obtained them but their methods are faulty. Other than that, I am not at liberty to discuss our sales levels.
                        The number of vB5 licenses do not equal the number of forums running vB5.
                        Psychlinks Mental Health Support Forum
                        Local Search Forum

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by djbaxter View Post

                          The number of vB5 licenses do not equal the number of forums running vB5.
                          Never said it did. I said the number of vBulletin 5 installations stated on that page is grossly underestimated.
                          Translations provided by Google.

                          Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                          Comment

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          • TheVisitors
                            vBulletin 5 - Will you purchase it ?
                            TheVisitors
                            We all know (or should know by now), that a large amount of resources and development is going toward vBulletin 5. We also know that Internet Brands is working on improving vBulletin 4.

                            ...
                            YES
                            13.00%
                            26
                            NO
                            47.00%
                            94
                            Yes if it is a complete re-write
                            12.50%
                            25
                            Yes if it isn't a re-write, but an improved upgrade
                            1.50%
                            3
                            Yes if I continue to see improvement in vBulletin 4
                            8.00%
                            16
                            Yes, if others say it is good - I'll not be one of the 1st to get it
                            4.00%
                            8
                            I am unsure and undecided at this time
                            14.00%
                            28
                            Sat 24th Dec '11, 10:16pm
                          • pwhitehead
                            Bought vb5, just because..
                            pwhitehead
                            I really don't know what everyone's complaining about. Sorry this forum isn't hack able yet, not many add ons nor themes. Sucks, don't it? Everyone who bought this software knew what they were getting...
                            Sat 18th May '13, 9:54pm
                          • MistyMeanor
                            How do I know when it's smart to DL vB5?
                            MistyMeanor
                            So I noticed the new version is out. I just got new forum license set up with a vB4 about a month ago. Since I have added mods to it and just kind of gotten all set up the way I want it for the most part...
                            Tue 2nd Jul '13, 2:49pm
                          Working...
                          X