• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattsnordman
    • Feb 2017
    • 4.2.x

"Moderate new members" doesn't work

Hi all

I am running vBulletin 4.2.4 on a site, and I have enabled the option "Moderate new members" but users can still join without moderation. I have tried unticking the option and ticking it again and I have restarted the server but nothing seems to help. Any ideas why this does not work? It used to work, but all of a sudden it stopped and just started letting new users in.
    I'd be greatful for any ideas, I do not know what to do next.

Thanks,
    /Matts
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Are you running Tapatalk?
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• mattsnordman
      • Feb 2017
      • 4.2.x

Nope, I am not running tapatalk.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

When you say "it still lets members in", what do you actually mean?

People can still join when this option is enabled, and they can still browse the forum, but with the default permissions they won't be able to post until you approve them. It doesn't mean they can't actually join.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• mattsnordman
          • Feb 2017
          • 4.2.x

I mean that when I go to Statistics & Logs -> Statistics -> Registration statistics and look at the last months registrations I can see that users register every day and I have not approved a single one. Some two months ago I did have to approve every new user and as far as I know I haven't changed anything at all..

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by mattsnordman
            I mean that when I go to Statistics & Logs -> Statistics -> Registration statistics and look at the last months registrations I can see that users register every day and I have not approved a single one. Some two months ago I did have to approve every new user and as far as I know I haven't changed anything at all..
            They have registered, yes. But as was asked above, are they able to post? "Moderate new registrations" just means that their accounts are not activated until you approve them so the cannot start new threads or reply to old threads.
            Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
            Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• mattsnordman
              • Feb 2017
              • 4.2.x

This must have changed lately then and without me installing a new version - doesn't seem likely. About a month ago when I logged in to the control panel I always got the message that I have a number of users to moderate, and this message was on the mail control panel page, see attached image. The message is stil there but it is always 0 and I have users register almost every day.
              The new users are able to post, yes, but that is not interesting and completely beside the point. My point is that it worked in one way and now it works differently and the setting that is supposed to control the behaviour doesn't do anything.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

What version of PHP are you using? If your hosting provider upgraded PHP to 7+, then you will have problems with your current version of vBulletin. You should really plan to upgrade to 4.2.5.

How many users are listed as primary users for Users Awaiting Moderation under Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager?
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mattsnordman
                  • Feb 2017
                  • 4.2.x

I am using PHP v5.6 and at this moment there are 221 users in the "Users Awaiting Moderation" group.
                  Perhaps I should upgrade to 4.2.5 before anything else, I just find it very strange that it no longer works the way it used to, I can't believe the software suddenly got broken!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Newer versions of PHP have changed how variables are defined and shared between pieces of code. This breaks software and why we had to release updates.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...