New user registered bypassing moderation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tempagain
    • Mar 2014
    • 4.2.X

New user registered bypassing moderation?

I have a user that signed up and started to post crap on the forum yesterday, so I deleted them using spam-o-matic. Boom, user gone, posts gone, IP reported.

I have New User Moderation turned on but I have didn't remember OK'ing this member, but oh, well.

Next day, same user is registered again, somehow bypassing the moderation.

Any ideas? Thanks.

• In Omnibus
    • Apr 2010

Spam-O-Matic is known to have security holes since it hasn't been updated in over four and one-half years. Bots have long since learned how to bypass it as have manual spammers.
    Are these new registrations or old registrations that just activated their accounts?

Comment

• tempagain
      • Mar 2014
      • 4.2.X

Both of his registrations were recent, but I can only confirm that I did not OK the account the 2nd time (2nd account created last night). I don't recall if I OK'd the first registration, but I may have. The same username is being used.

So, are you saying I am better off uninstalling spam-o-matic? Thanks.

Comment

• In Omnibus
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by tempagain
        Both of his registrations were recent, but I can only confirm that I did not OK the account the 2nd time (2nd account created last night). I don't recall if I OK'd the first registration, but I may have. The same username is being used.

So, are you saying I am better off uninstalling spam-o-matic? Thanks.
        Is this the only spam account with which you've had problems? If so maybe you could simply add the user name to the list of banned user names in admincp.

Is it the same IP address? Maybe you could simply add that to the banned IP list.

If you uninstall Spam-O-Matic entirely then you need an effective alternative.

If you ask ten different vBulletin forum owners you will get ten different opinions as to what works or doesn't work, based on their individual experiences.

I've had more success with the Q&A function than with anything else. I find if you ask the right questions, one only someone genuinely interested in your site could possibly answer, it virtually eliminates spam.

Comment

• tempagain
          • Mar 2014
          • 4.2.X

I have virtually no spam issues so this one was an anomaly. I was just concerned about their ability to bypass moderation. Instead of deleting the user this time, I banned the account. I could also ban the IP. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• djbaxter
            • Aug 2006

Are you running the Tapatalk plugin?

If so, check your Tapatalk Options settings. By default, I think In-App Registration and Automatical approval for user registered from Tapatalk are enabled. Not a great idea if you care about spammers.

Set both of those to No.
            Psychlinks Web Services Affordable Web Design & Site Management
            Specializing in Small Businesses and vBulletin/Xenforo Forums

Comment

• mattsnordman
              • Feb 2017
              • 4.2.x

Hi
              I have a similar problem, but the problem is that I have several users registering every day bypassing moderation and I have enabled the "Moderat new members" option in the control panel. This used to work but it just stopped for some reason and I did not touch any settings. Any ideas why this would stop working? I have done what I can try and resolve it:
              - Disabled the option, saved, enabled it again
              - Restarted the server
              Can't think of any more things to do in order to fix this, so any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
              Matts

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

This cannot happen on a default installation unless it is incorrectly configured.

As above, are you running Tapatalk?
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• mattsnordman
                  • Feb 2017
                  • 4.2.x

Nope, I am not using Tapatalk. It probably is incorrectly configured but I am the only admin on the site so it is not a matter of another admin changing anything and as I mentioned above it used to work.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...